Quote Originally Posted by Sray View Post
OK so I misunderstood what you meant when you said "If you are using a Cabinet of some kind, you would first have a disconnect (Safety Switch) at the Power entrance to the Cabinet, the Power supply from the Switch would go to a Breaker, then from the Breaker to say a DC Power supply". I have seen some cabinets with the E-stop buttons on the door so I assumed that would suffice.

Is this more what you were talking about? If not, can you show me an example?
https://static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/...ger/4B996_AS01

I read these comments on the LinuxCNC forums about setting up an E-stop with the Mesa 7i76e board.

"most estop buttons (well the ones I bought anyway) have two contacts. One is normally closed and the other is normally open.
Wire the mains power to your motors through the NC side and wire field power through the NO side. So when you push the button it cuts the mains power and lights up a Mesa input to tell Linuxcnc estop has been pressed."

"emergency stop cuts motor input power and activates the disable inputs on the stepper drivers. (Note the DC power for activating those inputs must not have its power cut though - the way those disable inputs work on stepper drivers are a bit weird, they should require activation to enable the driver instead!). You probably want to cut the AC side of the motor power supply; DC will require a much beefier relay/contactor not to arc. If you do cut the DC side, pay close attention to the DC ratings of the relay/contactor."

Here is the diagram one person posted. They admittedly messed up the NC circuit but did not fix the diagram. I made the changes to the diagram as I think it should work. Please correct me if I am wrong.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1liu...ew?usp=sharing

Do the comments make sense and does the diagram reflect those comments correctly?

Thanks
You should not be displaying it as 110v you don't have 110v, it is 120v

Yes, that is a disconnect switch, and does not have to be door mounted, it can be mounted on the side of the Cabinet, so look for a cheaper switch that is just the switch

The diagram there would normally be a relay to switch the 120v High voltage and the EStop would only see low voltage DC 24v normally or whatever your system is using so not a very good example of how to do it. AC high-voltage and DC Low-voltage on the same EStop is not the norm, so a SSR would be best to use for that Relay if you have to switch any of the 120v Supplies

As I said you would not cut the power to the Power supply that is used for the safety circuit

The problem with switching the power off a SMPS is that it takes some time before it is off completely, by then the damage is done so it is best if the power is cut at the drives as this is instantaneous