586,104 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

wee tiny endmills

so i'm getting closer and closer to having my x3 conversion done, and i'm starting to come up with all sorts of nifty projects for friends and family while i learn... so heres my questions....

i'm finding that lots of my designs are going to require some wee tiny endmills and ball mills to get the detail level that i want..

one of my setups requires a 1/32 endmill, i found a few on the net, but would like your suggestions where to look for good tools and affordable prices... i'm going to be working with some delrin blocks, wood, and alum, but would like to focus on the plastics and alum for now... what do you suggest? i'm figuring 2 flute to allow for better chip evac, but then theres the 4 flute better finish to consider...

and for finishing work, do you suggest a ballmill or endmill? I'm very inexperienced in milling, and i'm not sure what to expect from either.. i have a set of hss endmills, but thier all way too large for the details..

some of the things that i want to make are sign blocks, where the letters are raised 1/8-1/4 inch above the background..

i would also like to take a couple pictures that i have and 3d machine them out of alum...

beings that i'm using an x3 conversion.. my spindle speed is limited, so i was also wondering if it would be better to hang something like a trim router off the head to get better spindle speeds...

suggestions, ideas?
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

well since no one has said anything i thought i'd give an update, so far looks like enco has about the best selection... they have some down to .01"
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

you could check out MSC
    www.mscdirect.com

www.kodiakcuttingtools.com

They have endmills and ballmills down to .005". I have bought from them in the past and they make good stuff. I would honestly suggest getting used to your machine before venturing into bits below 1/8" At these sizes, they are not cheap or forgiving. I cringe whenever I use anything less than 1/8 because I know it will snap off at any time without warning.

Have Fun
    Matt

Robb Jack makes some small endmills. I've got a bit of experience going to .040" diameter. Just have to be mindful of your feed. Once you are that small, your cutting speed will probably be less than optimum, so your feed rates will have to be reduced as well.

Don't drop em either. Floors aren't very forgiving on cutters that small.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

even smaller end mill

cadfish
    http://www.burgiengineers.com/

I've just recently started using Titan USA mills. So far, the smallest I've used from them is 1/16" AlTiN for slotting 1018 steel. Honestly...I think they're almost as good as SGS, and the price is right if you know where to look. I get mine from toolbuyersnetwork.com, which coincidently is right down the road from my shop. If you call, ask for Bruce. Also...MSC is a good place to go for most anything, but their cutter prices can leave something to be desired.

Titan USA: www.titanman.com
    Tool Buyers Network: www.toolbuyersnetwork.com
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.