586,104 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > Machine not exactly returning to zero with wireless MPG

Machine not exactly returning to zero with wireless MPG

I have the MK3/4 (latest software/firmware) and use the wireless MPG. Everything works just fine, except when I push the "return to zero x/y" buttonon the MPG, the machine almost goes there. The y-position is usually zero, but the x-position often is like 0.233 mm or 0.203 mm. Not a showstopper but kind of annoying....

JB
    Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Re: Machine not exactly returning to zero with wireless MPG

Is it relying on a switch to tell it when it's arrived? There's often some inaccuracy in home/limit switches, especially the mechanical type. This can be minimized by careful adjustment, or replacement with an optical switch which is more accurate.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Button on MPG just triggers command "Machine/Move/Axis To Zero/XY". This command is just "G00 X0 Y0" g-code.

It might be lost steps. Does the error increase with time - if you've run a program and tell it to return to zero (using the command line, not the MPG), is the error always the same, or does it get worse the longer it's run?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    Button on MPG just triggers command "Machine/Move/Axis To Zero/XY". This command is just "G00 X0 Y0" g-code.
    Admittedly I did not try using the same command from the screen button. It may or may not do the same as with the MPG and I will try. This effect is not new to the latest version. It has been doing that for a long time, maybe since I am using the MK3. I was just too lazy to post the question since it is not such a big problem.

One thing I do know is the machine reliably returns exactly to zero x / zero y when the G0 X0 Y0 command is executed from the gcode program.

Maybe I should take a video clip sometimes to show what is happening.

Thanks...I know it is not lost steps because the controller would not even know if there are lost steps. What happens is when starting with an x/y position is somewhere out there at the machine, usually because I get the bit out of the way for change or changing material. Then I push the "go to x0/y0" button on the MPG to get the spindle back to the local zero and the machine does that. But often the x and y position display on the MPG as well as the PC screen end up not as zero x and zero y, but e.g. x=0.203mm or x=0,233 mm or similar small distance.

I never noticed that when the loaded g-code program tells the machine to go back to x=0 y=0 at the end of the program.

what are your steps / mm settings?
    Depending on the way you set your 0 position the machine might not be able to reach the position based on your settings. Therefore it goes to the nearest position its able to reach.

You could have some backlash in your axis, so it would not return exactly to zero

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    You could have some backlash in your axis, so it would not return exactly to zero
    You would not see the backlash in the gui. Only on the machine

Quote Originally Posted by ScorpionTDL View Post
    what are your steps / mm settings?
    Depending on the way you set your 0 position the machine might not be able to reach the position based on your settings. Therefore it goes to the nearest position its able to reach.
    133 steps/mm - or one step is 0.0075mm. The return error is usually way bigger than that.
    Also, like I mentioned before, when there is a G0 X0 Y0 at the end of the gcode, then the machine will always return EXACTLY to X=0 Y=0.

When there is a residual small value for X, it does not help pushing the MPG button another time or clicking the screen button for "return to x=0 / y=0". The number will stay the same (on the MPG and on the screen) and the machine does not move. When I get to it, I will take a video of this effect.

Export your profile and send me .zip file-