586,102 active members*
2,462 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Milltronics MB-19 network card

Milltronics MB-19 network card

I am wanting to go from the old rs232 hook up on my Milltronics to a network card. Anybody know if I can use a regular network card or do I need the $400.00 card from Miltronics. I haven't even looked in the back yet. Also had a tool maker say the rpms are wrong on the spindle need some help on this one to.

You don't even tell us what control is on the machine.
    You haven't even looked inside the control yet?
    Available slots? (ISA? PCI?)
    Is there a hard-drive? Flashcard? Is the software on EPROM's? SIM-Disk?
    Do you have an external keyboard? Is there a floppy drive?
    Do you have DOS network card drivers and DOS networking software?
    Additional RAM may be required, do you know how much and what type?
    I've installed "off the shelf" network cards in Milltronics controls but I don't suggest you try it. Spend the $400 and save yourself some headaches.
    -
    -
    <had a tool maker say the rpms are wrong on the spindle need some help on this one to>
    Fire the toolmaker (LOL)
    or
    What was the spindle programmed at? What was the spindle override registering (not "what was the knob set at")? What was the toolmaker's tachometer displaying? What frequency was displayed on the spindle drive?
    Does this spindle have a high and low range?
    Generally inaccuracies can be adjusted through the parameter(s).

Talking Centruion 6 sls

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    You don't even tell us what control is on the machine.

Centruian 6 sls

You haven't even looked inside the control yet?

I did just today.

Available slots? (ISA? PCI?)

Looks like a standard industrial computer from the late 90's 98 on the serial number. I do not know the difference between isa and pci. I am a tool maker. Not a computer hack.

Is there a hard-drive?
    I beleive it has a hard drive like a pc.

Flashcard?
    What is a flash card?

Is the software on EPROM's? SIM-Disk?
    May be I should have out IT guy call you?

Do you have an external keyboard?
    Yes I geeked out just enough to get pissed at the buttons they had and put one on.

Is there a floppy drive?
    Yes 3.5 A drive on the back cabinet.

Do you have DOS network card drivers and DOS networking software?
    I am running windows xp.
    I am also running a router.

Additional RAM may be required, do you know how much and what type?
    No idea? Didnt raise no sheep as a kid and didnt figure I needed one in the machine either.

I've installed "off the shelf" network cards in Milltronics controls but I don't suggest you try it. Spend the $400 and save yourself some headaches.
    -
    -
    <had a tool maker say the rpms are wrong on the spindle need some help on this one to>
    Fire the toolmaker (LOL)

He was f-ing around in the cabinet and told it to reconfig. He is dead and gone now. I can set it in back gear and mcode it to go 60 or 100 rpms and know it is not spining that fast by doing simple math..you know one revolution every second is....class ....60 rpm.

or
    What was the spindle programmed at? What was the spindle override registering (not "what was the knob set at")?

He screwed it up at like a Auto config command.

What was the toolmaker's tachometer displaying?

Please note the 60 rpm note and calculation above.

What frequency was displayed on the spindle drive?

I think we should work on the spindle first and I do have a tach on the way from a friend.

Does this spindle have a high and low range?

yes.

Generally inaccuracies can be adjusted through the parameter(s).
    So you got any notes on how to do this? Hey thank you for any help you can give to me. I hope all of the above information is enough to help with the problem.
    Jetski

I was a toolmaker before I got into the CNC install/repair side of things and I didn't know any of this until someone showed me. I'd never seen a RAM..... I did have a bull chase me once for throwing rocks at it (how stupid is that?)

So you have an IT guy? I'd like to have a discussion with him or at least have him "in the loop" as they say.
    For the spindle speed:
    First make sure you've registered the proper spindle range in the control>
    [Util] [Parms] [Ctrl] and cursor down to Spindle Range, then toggle to the correct spindle range the machine is in.
    Escape back to the main screen.
    Have you ever typed PROTO3 into your control?

Talking I am not as bad as I first let on

Use to service, and Training on Okada high speed graphite mills, and do training on Hurcos. Just no experience on the Miltronics. Advanced machinery sent me a quote on updating with a SBC Mother board 1,700.00 upgrade to 256 meg of ram 400.00 and networking 400.00. I am just unsure and unstable. Very different from the Hurcos and Fanuc 160i I am use to. I have been to the proto3 to do some backlash comp a year or 2 ago. I want to use the machine more like the VM1 Hurco beside it (short of tool changes). I have been teaching myself the controls slowly (Hurco crutch gets in the way alot). I have adjusted parameters on Fanuc, use to do ball bar testing also. Hey if you get a chance tomorrow send me a direct email to [email protected] and give me your phone number. I will give you a call around 11:00 or so Indiana time. Save time and finger work. Thanks for the call back.

Quote Originally Posted by jetski View Post
    Hey if you get a chance tomorrow send me a direct email to [email protected] and give me your phone number. I will give you a call around 11:00 or so Indiana time. Save time and finger work. Thanks for the call back.

Sorry Jetski I don't have the answers to your questions. I just got a Milltronics machine myself.

Not to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but it would really cool if discussions like these did not get taken off the forum to the phone. Yes it's easier and more convenient, but it also doesn't "share the wealth" of knowledge.

I'd love to see the answers to these questions as I'm sure I will have the same questions once I get my machine up and running.

Thanks,
    Michael

I'd also like to know the procedure. Not that I have the time to fight with it to get it working via DOS, but I am surprised there is not a basic process or shareware self configuring file that I have found that could set up DOS box to Windows box networking.

Here is what I have run across, so if you choose to take on the challenge given the ultimate goal, just think of the amount of effort you save the rest of us!

DC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Radius,
    I pointed out the use of the validation code PROTO3 to setup access level 3 parameters. In the [MISC] settings there are spindle parameters you can adjust to make the commanded spindle RPM's match a technician's tachometer readings. I also mentioned a hardcopy of both the machine parameters and the spindle parameters (for the Yaskawa spindle drive) are in the electrical cabinet (these are CRITICAL, DO NOT LOSE).
    Then we swapped war stories, such as Boeing moving away from using aerospace aluminum and starting to make their planes out of a newly developed plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    Hi Radius,
    I pointed out the use of the validation code PROTO3 to setup access level 3 parameters. In the [MISC] settings there are spindle parameters you can adjust to make the commanded spindle RPM's match a technician's tachometer readings. I also mentioned a hardcopy of both the machine parameters and the spindle parameters (for the Yaskawa spindle drive) are in the electrical cabinet (these are CRITICAL, DO NOT LOSE).
    Then we swapped war stories, such as Boeing moving away from using aerospace aluminum and starting to make their planes out of a newly developed plastic.
    Ah, understood. I wasn't 100% sure that the PROTO3 code entered a parameter screen.

Unfortunately for me, I believe the machine and spindle parameters that are supposed to be in the electrical cabinet are gone.

The machine I have is a '96 VM-16 with centurion 5. I bought it as a project machine and boy is it a project. The bridge rectifier for the servo drives are missing, the big filter caps are disconnected, all kinds of wiring has been disconnected, fuses pulled, etc. At least I have some basic schematics for this machine.

When I get ready to seriously tackle this you can bet I'll be here with questions.

I am wanting to go from the old rs232 hook up on my Milltronics to a network card. Anybody know if I can use a regular network card or do I need the $400.00 card from Miltronics. I haven't even looked in the back yet. Also had a tool maker say the rpms are wrong on the spindle need some help on this one to.

As far as I know, AFAIK, the computer is a regular Pentium motherboard.
    You should be able to install a regular network card, just have a look and see if you'll need a PCI or ISA card.

By default, the MB-19 uses NetBeui for network protocol. This is what I use.
    You'll have to install NetBeui if you are using XP.

I think there's an option, on the MB-19, to change to TCPIP, but I haven't tried it.

I think I would load the network on the Milltronics and see what network cards are supported and get one of those. Once you install the card, just follow the directions from Milltronics.

I'm not sure about the RPM problem, if there really is one.

enat

I just checked the setup program on the mill and there are a boatload of cards supported. I'm going to take a guess that they are ISA cards.

You may luckout and the network card will work with having to guess what interrupt it needs to be.

enat

Hey jetski,
    How is your spindle behaving? Did you get it working? What did you find?
    Curious minds want to know.

sorry for the no call back

Got busy as hell and I am waiting on a guy to send me an rpm guage. Soon as that happens I will give you a call back. Probably a couple of days. Thank you for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    I'd also like to know the procedure. Not that I have the time to fight with it to get it working via DOS, but I am surprised there is not a basic process or shareware self configuring file that I have found that could set up DOS box to Windows box networking.

Here is what I have run across, so if you choose to take on the challenge given the ultimate goal, just think of the amount of effort you save the rest of us!

DC

Hi DC..

Thanks for the doc...

Unforunately for me I won't be tackling this challenge. My Centurion 5 is based on a 386SX-40 and it doesn't have a single available slot. It has 6 ISA slots and they are all used.

Although I'm wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the motherboard to a faster processor with more RAM. The underlying OS is MSDOS, and my control has a hard drive in it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Michael

Hello Michael,

About all you could go to would be a 486 with additional PCI slots. I have a VK-3 that has something like 5 ISA's for the main motion control and I\O cards, then there are maybe 5 empty PCI slots.

I doubt a faster processor will gain you much. The MB is primarily used for communication between the boards and the software user interface between storage and display. All of the real function of the machine is done via the motion control card. The biggest benefit of an enhance MB would be advanced options in the BIOS, more slots and memory, although the MB memory as I understand, may not add to the program size capacity. I am not sure that the bus speed between the boards is all that different from 386 to 486.

I have mine currently setup for RS-232, but the method Milltronics uses requires the receiving end to be setup first and then physically sent from the opposite end. Where as a basic fetch from a server would have simplified the whole process at the control without ever needing to putz with the server end. For the life of me, I cannot imagine why they chose that inefficient lame format without leaning toward a very lucrative cash based conspiracy to resolve it with a network card.

DC

...Also had a tool maker say the rpms are wrong on the spindle need some help on this one to.
    The milltronics has two serial ports coming out of the computer chassis, one is wired to the motherboard (which may be on a card) and the other is wired from one of the motor controller boards. The serial port from the mother board needs to be wired out to be connected to peripherals. The serial port from the motor controller is wired to the spindle. If you get these reversed you will get random numbers for your spindle speed.

If this is not the problem you may have to change the belting or change the system parameters.