586,900 active members*
2,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Looking for Training

I need help finding a training class or seminar for general turning. I recently switched engineering roles from new product development to machine room engineer because I enjoy being "hands-on". I thought I get one of my co-workers to mentor me but thats not working out fast enough.

We produce Powder Metal components with some finishing operations. We do a LOT of turning, hard turning and grinding. I would like to find a training class to help me with some of the typical problems that arise daily (poor surface finish, poor tool life, mainitaining size). I would also like something to offer suggestions for process improvements.

I know what you are going to tell me... it all come with experience. Right now I don't feel like I have enough machine time to "experiment" because of machine up-time and utilization.

Does anyone know of a worth while seminar or training class?

Thanks,
    Mark

Your best bet may be to look around the shop for tooling catalogs that are for what is used in your shop, then look through them for trouble shooting and general knowlege. A lot of what you want to know is there and free. If these cats are in the office then ask for some of the old one to borrow.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Talk to your Seco dealer they offer some classes where they will come to your place and do the training.

Ask questions, go on the internet and look for book, the machinist handbook is a great resources as well. Take some night classes at a local college, go to shops and work part time so you can get some different experiences. I personally think working in places to 6 months to a 1 when you 1st start out if the best thing that way you get exposed to different environments and types of work so you are not stuck in a rut and only one discipline of machining.