586,493 active members*
1,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Keling power supply?

I purchased (2) Keling nema 34 steppers with 465oz of torque, here is the model KL34H260-60-4B. I would like to know if this power supply (KL-150-24/ with 24v and 6.3amp output) would work decently to run them and what your opinion is on this compared to other power supplies Keling sells.
    I will eventually be buying the Z axis stepper (KL34H280-45-4A) and running it on its own power supply.
    These are going on a scratch built milling machine that I am currently working on that has a table of 6 1/2" x 24" with ballscrews and linear rails on all the axis's.

Thanks!!

Just curious: what does/did Kelling recommend????

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    Just curious: what does/did Kelling recommend????
    I never got an exact answer back when I emailed to them, I asked if I could run 3 motors off of one power supply or needed 1 for each motor along with what power supply. They answered the 1st part but forgot the 2nd part of the question.

Do NOT be surprised if/that suppliers/manufacturers do not respond to e-mails. It is and can be simply overwhelming, especially from hobbyists who buy surplus stuff and then drive the factory's nuts looking for free tech support.

If you want/need info, CALL THEM and ask for the engineering dept. Have your questions ready and don't "tire kick" and do too much B/s'ing - they are usually quite busy offering help/dealing with paying customers to do too much "charity" work. Will they help? Yes. Do your engineering for you? Not usually unless you find someone who's bored and/or not too overworked/underpaid.

The voltage of the P/S is pretty much going to determine the speed. The current output is what you're looking for/at for your case. You don't simply add the total current as this is not realistically going to happen - that is, for all your motors to ask for/draw peak current simultaneously.

A reasonable assumption is to use 60% to 70% of the total peak possible current draw. Having MORE current simply means that you can't/won't stall the motors or overload the power supply EVER. You might pay a bit more for TOO much current capacity in a P/S but, recall, you can't "shove" current into/thru a motor. You can only draw what the motor asks for.

Most P/S's do have current limits built in. Hence, if you try to go overcurrent, the thing will either shut down or fold back the voltage to reduce/limit the abiltiy of the P/S to not go over current.

Hi Mcruff
    We replied your email Step 19. If you use (2) Keling KL34H260-60-4B and 1 (KL34H280-45-4A, you can use power supply KL-150-24/ with 24v and 6.3amp output. It is not enough power. But we suggest you to use KL-6515, 65VDC/15A, http://www.kelinginc.net/SwitchingPowerSupply.html. You will get better perforamce.
    John
    www.kelinginc.net

Thank you very much for your response, I will be ordering my last stepper motor and power supply in a few weeks.