586,067 active members*
5,380 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > Considering Ramsond Super 200P TIG/Plasma Inverter

Considering Ramsond Super 200P TIG/Plasma Inverter

This is also posted over at Welderzone, which I believe is the preferred venue for these questions, but since there is activity here, I thought I would give it a try.

Have have several questions:

1) Has anyone had any experience with Ramsond inverters?
    1a) If you have, did you have overheating problems with the 200P?

2) I am a relatively inexperienced TIG welder (took the Lincoln Class) and have only used machines with HF start. The Ramsond is a scratch start machine. Any downside to scratch-start technique? Is it difficult to master?

Please throw out any other considerations that you feel relevant regarding the purchase of a foreign-made inverter type welder.

Much appreciated,

Marc

Take a look at pirate4x4, I think there is someone on there that supplies chinky plasmas, with a guarantee and also uprated versions of them. I am not sure if he does welders but it would be likely.

Waiting for Ramsond

Ramsond has a batch of re-engineered units coming online in the next few days. I will post the specifics of the unit which I am interested in.... once they post their new product spec's and links on the website.

Another user asked me which machine I was interested in, generally I am interested in the Pulsed-TIG/Plasma/Arc machines.

More next week. Thanks for everyone's advice.

Bought one

I decided to go ahead and purchase one of their upgrade Super 250PY devices. They have problems if you plow through Aluminum all day long at max amp's.... but I won't be that person.

http://www.ramsond.com/proddetail.php?prod=SUPER250PY&cat=9

That's the link to the product.

So, I will post my experience, as soon as I fire it up. Will start taking pictures when it arrives.

Wish me luck!

-Marc

Unboxed the Super 250py

Well, the initial impression is that the packing was sufficient. The unit was double-packed; with one box contained in another box and surrounded by 1" of solid foam.

The only down side to the packing: the bottom of the outer box wash not sufficiently taped. There was no intrusion into the inner box, so I signed for it.

You can see what shipped, I took some photo's.

Just pulled a 30-amp circuit off of my sub-panel and will fire it up tomorrow. Will blast through some steel and pulse-TIG some aluminum and post the results.

One thing that I am disappointed about, they did not include collet's for anything larger than 1/16" tungstens (and the machine is 200amp). Not a big deal, but you think they would just throw it all in for convenience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01073 (Medium).JPG   DSC01074 (Medium).JPG   DSC01075 (Medium).JPG   DSC01076 (Medium).JPG  

DSC01078 (Medium).JPG  

Disappointed

Well, guys. I am a little disappointed. A couple of problems with the unit, one major one minor.

Major issue: The HF start is not functioning, so, no arc start on plasma torch :-(

Major issue: The adjustment for gas pre-flow and gas post-flow on the don't seem to have any impact on the actual length of time for the pre- and -post flow.

Minor issue: The "moisture drain cock" on the air flow regulator pops open and stays open each time the gas flow solenoid closes.... annoying and a waste of argon, to be sure.

I have an email into the tech service people. Updates to follow.

Thats the sort of story that put me off buying a cheap inverter..

Angry It get's worse......

The out-of-the-box quality has been absolutely terrible:

1) The TIG torch would attach. But, I couldn't get the MMA nor the ground clamp to twist into the connectors on the front of the machine. After comparing the dimensions of the TIG connector to the MMA and ground connectors, I found that the MMA and ground where larger than the TIG. I called tech support and explained that they were obviously machined/dimensioned incorrectly. I shaved 0.015" off of the bronze indexing tabs of the MMA and ground clamp male fittings (so they were the same dimensions as the TIG torch). They still wouldn't fit! Their tech support recommended that I shave 1/16" off the rubber off of the handles. I literally had to grind rubber off of the back of the connectors before they would seat and twist!

2) Called tech support today to discuss the lack of high-frequency (in any mode) and the lack of plasma stream from the plasma function. They recommended I open the machine and adjust the spark-gap on the HF board. Thank goodness I have a background in electronics (because if I hadn't, he would have been speaking greek). Truthfully, I wasn't so comfortable reaching into the machine (energized or not), but I got brave and adjusted the spark-gap on the HF until they were "close enough" to create a spark in the gap. STILL NO HF or plasma stream at the "working end"!!

3) They ship the unit with a gas pressure regulator which mounts on the rear. When the gas solenoid closes (to stop the flow of air/argon to the torch), the purge valve on the bottom of the regulator pops open and free-flows argon/compressed air (that's just plain stupid). The only way for me to stop this from happening was to weight-down the purge valve with a pair of vice-grips. Seriously!

4) The cleaning action in AC Tig mode appears to suck. I am a novice, but the surface of the weld ends up dull. Pretty sure that ain't quite right.

Oh well, I am going to try to get an RMA and a refund. Lesson learned.

-Marc

It get's worse...... redux

Now get this, the machine will not shut down. It remains running, even when the power switch is placed in the "off" position.

It's not a "cooling off cycle", because I still activate the torch and the gas solenoid opens, while the switch is "off".

I think I want to go throw up now. :drowning:

Requested a refund and an RMA number

Well guys, I sent them this, on Monday:

Chris:

I pulled the cover off and you were correct. The spark gap was not set properly. After bringing them closer together, there is now a spark between the two points of the spark gap. However, no HF for any of the processes and no plasma stream.

Also, the machine will not shut down. It remains running, even when the power switch is placed in the "off" position. I can even activate the torch, while the switch is "off".

It looks like we have a very bad machine. I have to say that I have been very disappointed in the "out of the box" quality, at this point. I have had to modify components (e.g. shaving the rubber handles on the MMA and ground clamp connections), the plasma cutting function has never worked, there is no HF for AC tig or the Plasma functions, and the purge valve on the bottom of the regulator pops off every time the gas solenoid closes!

At this point, I would like to return the device for a full refund. Can you send me an RMA number, please?

Thanks,

Marc

No answer from them, either via email or phone..... very disappointing. Sent another email to their Sales Department, today. Hope they respond.

Finally

After about a week of silence, they emailed me a RMA/return label. Thank goodness.

This may be a unique experience among hundreds of satisfied customers, but I haven't seen anyone in any forum saying good things about Chinese-made inverters (with the one exception of someone saying they liked their Longevity unit). So, take it with a grain of salt and draw your own conclusions.

As for me: Where did I put that number for Lincoln Electric or Miller???

i tried to send you a PM, but it doesnt show in my sent box so I am assuming it is not working correctly for me.

anyway, i also bought a ramsond welder, and would like to discuss my experience with you, but i'd rather not drag em through the mud on this forum.

email me at [email protected]

thanks,

michael

Exclamation Chinese welders..every thing you wanted to know..

I have just received the four welders/plasma cutters I bought from a Chinese company. They arrived quickly and I ma still testing them. They are a cut30 30 amp plasma, a CT416 small tig/plasma/stick and two large machines WSME-200 a combo machine and also a pulse combo called a Super 200P. You can find them under many different names on the web.
    The results so far.:
    Packaging OK very slight damage.
    The Cut30 works great on steel and aluminum has HF start and since this is my first experience with plasma I find it a great tool.
    The CT 416 worked fine both plasma tig and stick, no foot control but its a very tiny machine.
    The Super 200P has too many knobs,foot control and switches for me to understand without more work so I'll save my report on this and the WSME-200.
    General comment about workmanship especially the accessories, even when they are suppose dto be the same there were differences, like the air/gas connectors had different thread some taper seal and some O-ring seal..no good reason for this..
    My conclusion so far is to only buy from someone in the USA who will open the unit up check it out and then repack and ship to you with a 1 or 2 year guarantee.
    BTW I am an EE so minor problems will not bother me but easily broken or poorly made parts ( as reported in this thread ) do. One last thing the instruction manual is a joke.. why they can't ask an English speaking person to review the writing is also difficult to understand.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by marcgvky View Post
    Well, guys. I am a little disappointed. A couple of problems with the unit, one major one minor.

Major issue: The HF start is not functioning, so, no arc start on plasma torch :-(

Major issue: The adjustment for gas pre-flow and gas post-flow on the don't seem to have any impact on the actual length of time for the pre- and -post flow.

Minor issue: The "moisture drain cock" on the air flow regulator pops open and stays open each time the gas flow solenoid closes.... annoying and a waste of argon, to be sure.

I have similar comments: It is a matter of QC and also shipping damage due to lack of care in the mechanical part of the electronics. All parts in this kind of product must be anchored or they will shake lose and some functions will not work or even be non-functional. My recommendation is if you are thinking of buying one and there is not a free repair policy INCLUDING SHIPPING BOTH WAYS. then don't buy. Also before switching the unit on YES THE FIRST TIME YOU UNPACK IT IF POSSIBLE if not and you were tempted to try it out, make sure power has been off for at least 15 minutes, take the covers off and look at anything that can move, it probably has! Make sure all screws are tight especially anything big and with lots of wire or copper strip. Check all the connectors to see that they are seated and all the way in. If there is any part or wires that can move around. See if you can anchor it securely. The usual method is to use a form of hot melt, this works for some parts but not all . You might need ties or I like good old lacing twine, ( now called Dental floss, get the waxed kind it's easier to tie.) Any questions please feel free to post them here and I 'll try and respond.
    The question of the water /gas separator pressure regulator staying open puzzles me too because it closes from the gas pressure. With an argon rate regulator on the tank there is no pressure to speak of and the valve just stays open.. anyone got an answer for this.
    My guess is that the TIG welders in China don't care about wasting argon or they don't use a flow rate adjustor.. how you use a pressure regulator to set a flow rate is another mystery to me.. but I am an EE so forgive me. I fixed the problem by putting a clip on the relief valve so it is closed all the time. It works but...
    Themotorman

Quote Originally Posted by themotorman View Post
    The question of the water /gas separator pressure regulator staying open puzzles me too because it closes from the gas pressure. With an argon rate regulator on the tank there is no pressure to speak of and the valve just stays open.. anyone got an answer for this.
    My guess is that the TIG welders in China don't care about wasting argon or they don't use a flow rate adjustor.. how you use a pressure regulator to set a flow rate is another mystery to me.. but I am an EE so forgive me. I fixed the problem by putting a clip on the relief valve so it is closed all the time. It works but...
    Themotorman
    Why are you routing the argon through the air reg?
    www.GiantTechPlasmaCutter.com

Quote Originally Posted by marcgvky View Post

You too ran your argon through the air reg? Please tell me why?

Buy from GiantTech

Quote Originally Posted by themotorman View Post
    I have just received the four welders/plasma cutters I bought from a Chinese company. They arrived quickly and I ma still testing them. They are a cut30 30 amp plasma, a CT416 small tig/plasma/stick and two large machines WSME-200 a combo machine and also a pulse combo called a Super 200P. You can find them under many different names on the web.
    The results so far.:
    Packaging OK very slight damage.
    The Cut30 works great on steel and aluminum has HF start and since this is my first experience with plasma I find it a great tool.
    The CT 416 worked fine both plasma tig and stick, no foot control but its a very tiny machine.
    The Super 200P has too many knobs,foot control and switches for me to understand without more work so I'll save my report on this and the WSME-200.
    General comment about workmanship especially the accessories, even when they are suppose dto be the same there were differences, like the air/gas connectors had different thread some taper seal and some O-ring seal..no good reason for this..
    My conclusion so far is to only buy from someone in the USA who will open the unit up check it out and then repack and ship to you with a 1 or 2 year guarantee.
    BTW I am an EE so minor problems will not bother me but easily broken or poorly made parts ( as reported in this thread ) do. One last thing the instruction manual is a joke.. why they can't ask an English speaking person to review the writing is also difficult to understand.
    He's right, and that company should be GiantTech www.plasmametalcutter.com

Re: Finally

I may be the lucky one but I have the SUPER250PY and everything about it works perfectly.