586,546 active members*
3,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Corel Draw Problem...

My CNC Router accepts DXF Files and I am trying to use corel draw X3 to create them. However, no matter what I do, when I try to load the dxf file, it will only show the outline. Is ANYONE else out there using coreldraw to do this? Is anyone having more luck than me doing this??? Please help!!!

Thanks,

Chuck

Not sure if I can help, but I don't see anyone else jumping in, so here goes. I don't use coreldraw for my router files, but we use it for some of our laser work, before you export your dxf file for your router, you might check the properties of the file, maybe use "hairline" for linewidth if none is shown in the properties box. Select your object, then right click, select properties,outline, then choose hairline, it has solve some of our file import issues.
    Hopefully someone else (more knowledgeable) will help you, in the interim give it a whirl.

Just another idea, from someone with no experience of machining.
    If your cnc router is much older than CorelX3, try saving your dfx file as an earlier version. You should find the setting on the "save as" window.

John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Chuck,

Can you post an example of an CorelDrawX3 drawing and the same drawing after you've exported it to DXF? I'm sure someone here can help if they could get a better sense of what you're 'seeing' on your end.

Also, what CNC router are you using?

Trying to help,
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

One question is what are you trying to do? Remember that DXF files contain only vector information. In other words, outlines. If you are trying to mill text, then you need to turn your text into outlines. I'm not sure how to do this since I use Illustrator when I need to lay out text, but the help file should direct you in the right direction.

The other possibility is to export the file as an EPS if your router will accept these. Most CAM programs will, but I'm not sure about direct to router controls.

Lastly, my experience with the Thermwood control is that it only accepts lines and arcs. Splines will not be imported. Most text is splined as are shapes in most draw programs such as Corel Draw. Make sure all splines are turned in to arcs and lines before importing into your router.

Hope this helps.

eddubal

Corel Draw v13 export of dxf files

I have been using Corel Draw for years to create designs and ultimately cut them on my cnc router. For the past 6 years the only success that I have had exporting from CD to cam is the .ai files and .eps files. Since about v11 I have only been able to use the .eps export. The dxf export looks great going into VcarvePro which I use as a cam program BUT all of the individual items in the file are the incorrect size - not consistent either.

I have been trying to get Corel Draw to export using .dxf and .dwg files to Alibre Design in order to create 3d files for carving and to just create assemblies for fitting purposes. I have tried for over a week using every trick I can think of and the only way that I can get an editable part (not splines) in Alibre is if I export native vector items from Corel such as rectangles and squares that haven't been converted to curves or node edited.

I find that with Corel when I try to do almost anything with autocadd format files either importing or exporting there is always a catch - some can be overcome, some not.

I wish that someone that knows autocad or .dxf and .dwg file types could explain about how files are created that sometimes have many nodes and can be edited properly and other times the files are either unreadable or they are just weird in one of several ways and why you have to choose from v13 to 2004.

I hope that this helps with the original question!

You guys should try this out.
    http://www.candcnc.com/DXFToolDetails.htm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use X3 and the problems I have are when I open a file created in an earlier version of Corel such as v10. I mean I use X3 to open a v10 file and try to export that as a dxf and I get poor results. The solution was to open the v10 file in X3, save that file as a X3 file and then close the drawing. I open my newly saved X3 file and then export that as a dxf and everything is golden.

Ger21 - thanks for the link to that marvelous package - I have tried many corel draw v13 files converted to dxf using that utility - everything is accessible in the drawing and part files in Alibre Design Standard and all measurements - so far are correct - I have yet to see if the files go into VcarvePro in the right size (no part expansion) - thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou - it will be another worthwhile purchase - no maybe I can finally get away from Corel Draw for cnc!

TXCOWDOG - I'm sure that you have confirmed sizes in the dxf file, bUT when I imported a CD v13 dxf file into VcarvPro - the sizes of some items were expanded by over a quarter of an inch - just a thought

Gary

Gary,
    I have had no problems with size when exporting from Corel X3 to dxf and then opening in Autocad 2007. I do not know about Vcarve as I do not have that program. It may be a translation issue with Vcarve or I am just extremely lucky.

Hi Gary,

I'm surprised to hear you are seeing a sizing issue with DXF files. Can you email the files that show this problem to support at vectric and we will take a look.

We recommend exporting from Corel Draw as an EPS file as this retains bezier curves that will otherwise be smashed into small polylines when exporting as DXF.

Tony

Size issue with dxf from Corel Draw to VcarvePro 3.x and 4.0

Hi Tony,

On Sun 15/07/2007 8:20 AM you sent me

Gary Archibald, Pres.
    Sugeri Inc.
    http://www.sugeri.com/

the last response to the sizing issue and the many extraneous points contained in the same dxf file coming from Corel.

You thought that I was being unreasonable about the inability to import dxf files and layers and be able to use them in VcarvePro. The Corel file had many more issues than just the sizes of the items. I believe that I was being unreasonable as well and as you pointed out I could easily export the several layers as individual files and put them into the same Vectric VcarvePro file as individual layers - and that's what I have done.

The mention of the size issue is not a slight on you, your company or your products. It has been my experience that Corel Draw v13 and v11 have very serious issues when dealing with dxf files, whether for import or export. That is my total reason for trying to leave Corel Draw behind as a design tool for cnc router use and my recent purchase of Alibre Design Standard and the CD traing course. I have used Corel Draw since v2 and have loved it and hated it since, BUT it remains the only reasonably priced, easy to use drawing tool available to someone like me who has tried ALL of the competition. I will continue to use it to do nesting of several small items on the same 4 by eight sheet, even if I export the files from ALibre Design.

I have nothing but respect and appreciation for your company, your support and your marvelous underpriced products, after all you saved me from the hideous and awful "*NS*GN*A" and their pay per seat user group meetings, horrid product and worse support.

I have exported a few very simple files from CD x3 (the 3 inch square file contained in the "Corel Draw x3 Export to dwg - import to ALibre Design - not editable" thread) and the sizes are correct so I had anticipated contacting you today to inform you. I think that the sizing issue may have been caused by other problematic factors in the file(s).

I had assumed that either Vectric or Corel had corrected the issue.

As I said elsewhere I am very pleased with the dxf conversion macro that Ger21 had put the link to

http://www.candcnc.com/DXFToolDetails.htm

and would never consider using anything else but eps export from Corel to VcarvePro. I'm glad to see that you are paying attention.

TXCOWDOG - I am glad that you haven't had problems with the export or the size issue. How exactly are you exporting the files - do you use a save or an export from Corel and which version of Autocadd do you select to export the file to. I have tried doing this in v9 and v11 of Corel Draw and the Autocadd user was unable to read the files. I will have to (make that I'm hoping to) do this in the near future and can use all of the help that I can get.

Sorry for the verbosity, but I do go on!

Gary

Hi Gary,

I hadn't realized this was you - Great to hear from you and please keep pushing if you find any issues. The never ending variations of what are claimed to be standard File formats does cause severe headaches, but we will continue to resolve these issues.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mac View Post
    Hi Gary,

I'm surprised to hear you are seeing a sizing issue with DXF files. Can you email the files that show this problem to support at vectric and we will take a look.

We recommend exporting from Corel Draw as an EPS file as this retains bezier curves that will otherwise be smashed into small polylines when exporting as DXF.

Tony
    Tony,

The DXFTool produces pure LINE / ARC lists from V12 and CorelDRAW X3 artwork. The ARCs are produced from the bezier curves by decomposing them into as few ARCs as possible.

-James
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Gary
    In my experience it seems that you must save your file as a vX3 format and then use that file to export to a Autocad 2000 file. When opening the exported file in Autocad 2007 everything is sized perfectly. My best suggestion is to export a file then import it back into Corel and compare it to the drawing that you already have on the screen to see if there is a difference in size.