584,874 active members*
5,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Generating code with Camsoft AS3000

Looking for assistance on generating the code thru AS3000 by Camsoft.

My problem is producing the head raise or lower, plasma on or off when moving from one path to the next.

I had talked with a rep from Thermal Arc (Plasma machine supplier), who informed me of the actions needed for machine operation.

This plasma machine first requires the head to be near the material (M8 or O/P #24=1 Head down), then the plasma needs a contact closure (M5 or O/P #25=1 Plasma On), at this time the plasma will fire and once it senses a pierce thru it will provide a contact closure (I/P #22=1) at which time motion can begin. After completion of the cut, the plasma should be turned off (M6 or O/P #25=0) then the head should me raised (M9 or O/P #24=0). This process should repeat when the head has moved to the next object to be cut. After all objects have been cut the machine should
    return to home position.

I wonder how and if I can use the Edit Process in AS3000 to accomplish this sequence. Also how does the system differentiate between a movement to a position before a cut begins from a movement where cutting should take place?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brett

Have you tried writing any code in the appropriate M functions?

I can imagine that perhaps you are using more M codes than you really need to. You can use the Z component of one of your work offsets to get the head down if it is actually servo controlled, or if it is a simpler solenoid type thing, the head down, torch on, dwell, I/O can all be conducted within one M code's logic.

If you have need of discrete Mcodes for each torch function (to run in MDI), you could maybe create some new ones of your own.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Two big steps here.

1. set up your CAM package with a POST processor for your machine.
    2. Now your CAM package will write Gcode files from your design. You now customise Camsoft to do exactly what you need for each G and M code. There's A LOT to learn here.

Question 32 from manual:

QUESTION 32
    What G Code format does the control understand?

The system comes with post processors called CONTROL.POS, MILL-PC.POS, LATHE-PC.POS, WATER-PC.POS and others within AS3000 to convert graphics to a generic Fanuc type G Code motion. Therefore, using any of the numerous reverse post processors that come standard with AS3000 that convert existing G Code programs into graphics will allow the controller to process the graphics directly into motion. Using the CNCSETUP.EXE program, you can also define how each G code and M code will work. There is a 199 definable G code and M code table.

Karl

Hello again, thanks for your responses, they are appreciated.

I realized after posting my thread yesterday that a background of what I am trying to accomplish may be helpful.
    I have rebuilt a plasma cutting table which was orginally controlled with a German system (Num 720 controller with Baumuller drives), which had been out of operation for the past year.
    Using the Galil 2-axes motion card with the ICM2900 interface,CNC lite(Camsoft) along with Baldor drives & motors I have rebuilt this system.
    Currently all hardware is functioning, as well I have written M-codes to perform actions such as Head (raise/lower), plasma (on/off), machine homes,etc.
    I did draw a circle with AS3000 & generated the code & was able to cut the circle, although I noticed the 4" diameter circle was actually 6.25" diameter.
    The G-code indicates the circle should be 4" but as I mentioned that was not the case. (X & Y axes are calibrated)
    Secondly I was unable to produce the correct G-code for more than one cut path which would actually raise the head, turn off plasma, move to start of next cut path and repeat the cut sequence.
    I have been toying with the "Edit Process" in AS3000 to correct this without success.
    Camsoft support have been helpful, and are sending a manual pertaining to the programming the post process which I hope will get me through.

Again, thanks all for the support & any other bits of insight you have to offer would be great.

Regards,

If you go into post process and go to 'Edit Post Process' then Typical Format examples'
    It will show what you can do with head-up, tool up for example.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.