586,299 active members*
3,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > sold works and 2d edming

Question sold works and 2d edming

We are new to solid works and are trying to convert from autocad use. Our question is when drawing in solid works what is the best way to save it if it is going to be wire edmed. Mostly a 2d. We have tried to pick up with our cam system but we have to do some extra things to pick up the lines, and arcs. How is the best way to handle this .

If you built a 3D solid model and you have also made a drawing of it, you can do a "Save as" in Solidworks and choose DXF or DWG format. What types of files can your CAM software take in?
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It can handle igs, dwg dxf I think what we did the other day was save it as solid iges we will try to save it as dwg format

What are you using for wire software?
    this might help if one of us uses that software.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Using edgecam for wire and playing around with onecnc.
    Edge cam came in the other day and told us to buy a package that works with solid works direct and just work everything from a solid instead of using dxf and dwg.
    Onecnc I have converted some but time comsuming. Not so bad when we do the drawings but when we get all kinds from different customers with different formats.
    One customer designs in Mastercam and edgecam has a hard time opening them when he sends them in igs fromat.