586,069 active members*
3,704 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Wavy Parallels whats the deal with them

Wavy Parallels whats the deal with them

I was wondering if anyone was using wavy parallels. I am needing to hold some thin stock in the vise and was wondering if they are infact spring steel and can be compressed flat or even any. The stock I am working with is
    1/8" and I need to make a cut standing on end. I figured if they were truely spring steel then I could use 1 to locate the piece parallel then compress the parallel to clamp the part. I have tried ultra thins and it works butit doesent take much to move the part in the jaws. What do you guys think?? Thanks in advance.

Why is your part moving in the jaws? Are you holding it at one end of the jaws without an equal spacer (or a dummy part) at the opposite end?
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

part is wider than the jaws. The ultra thin parallels are 1/16" so they are
    1/8" combined. Part is 1/8". Just not alot of clamping force left. Could use 1 parallel but I dont like doing that. Thats why I was wondering about the wavys.

Quote Originally Posted by maxboostbusa View Post
    .... Could use 1 parallel but I dont like doing that....
    What is your reason for not wanting to use only one parallel? The parallel only supports the part so that it is parallel to the bottom of the vise jaws, nothing more; one can do this just as well as two. If you are worried about a single parallel tilting sideways and not being aligned straight with the jaws just put in something that will compress when the jaws are close and hold the parallel firmly against the fixed jaw. The best thing to use I find is an O-ring.

The reason your part is moving is simply because the vise is closing on the two parallels.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I knew that was why the part would shift. I usually use light springs in between my parallels to keep them spread and vertical, I hadnt thought of using something elastic like an o-ring to make up the space. Thats a cool little tip. Maybe I could look into some springs that are cone shaped so they would collapse into themself also. I like the o-ring deal though.

Does anybody know if you can collapse the wavt parallels just for future reference now? I got my other problem situated I'm sure. Thanks for all the help.

I keep a few random pieces of pallet strapping around to bend into springs. 1/2" banding is about .025 thick (I guess) and you can bend it as you wish, and make cheap disposable springs. 3/4" strapping is about .035".
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

yes they can be compressed, I do it all of the time