586,117 active members*
3,510 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Probotix Bi-Polar Stepper Motor Driver

Question Probotix Bi-Polar Stepper Motor Driver

Is anyone using this Motor Driver from Probotix? How does it compare to the Xylotex Motor drivers.

http://www.probotix.com/cnc_images/SideStep_diagram.jpg

I like the fact that they are offering single drivers rather than the three or four combined boards from Xylotex.

Bi-Polar Stepper Motor Driver
    Stepper Motor Microstepping Driver Specs:
    Chopper Current Driver
    .5-2.5 Amp Current Limiting
    Dual H-Bridge Configuration
    Full, 1/2, 1/4, & 8th Microstepping Resolution
    8V - 32V Supply
    Optional Integrated Charge Pump for 5V Logic Side*
    For Use With:
    Bi-polar Stepper Motors (4,6, or 8 wire)

Model No: SideStep
    Price: $35.99 USD

Thanks
    Hager
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SideStep_diagram.jpg  

I, too, am considering this hardware

Any opinions? It looks like the guy selling them is building the same Solsylva machine I am building.

I am using this Motor Driver from Probotix? I don't know any thing about the Zylotex Motor drivers.

http://www.probotix.com/cnc_images/SideStep_diagram.jpg

I built my first CNC machine using Probotix drivers and motors.. I was a newbie to cnc and wanted to make circut boards.

Any way not only do the controllers work perfect with Mach 3, Len was very helpful and quick to respond to any questions.

troubleshooting probotix breakout board

Hello! I'm newbie, a friend has buy a 3 axis kit from probotix with 3 sidestep controlers, 3 stepper, a power supply and a simple breakout board. I'll help him with the PC, software and put it all together and he will build the CNC hardware. So, I assembled the boards on a box, as is figured out in the manual, but when I connected the breakout board to the PC, the LM317 on the breakoutboard who is the 5V supply for the controler boards get hot, led-s go off suddenly, and the PC paralel port was blown out. I try to get some help to troubleshoot from probotix.com but get no answer. I wonder what can be wrong, I checked everithing, without PC cable the controllers run OK, I make some pulses manualy with a wire and the motors make steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwinux View Post
    Hello! I'm newbie, a friend has buy a 3 axis kit from probotix with 3 sidestep controlers, 3 stepper, a power supply and a simple breakout board. I'll help him with the PC, software and put it all together and he will build the CNC hardware. So, I assembled the boards on a box, as is figured out in the manual, but when I connected the breakout board to the PC, the LM317 on the breakoutboard who is the 5V supply for the controler boards get hot, led-s go off suddenly, and the PC paralel port was blown out. I try to get some help to troubleshoot from probotix.com but get no answer. I wonder what can be wrong, I checked everithing, without PC cable the controllers run OK, I make some pulses manualy with a wire and the motors make steps.
    Hello,

Not all parallel cables are straight through, some have a few wires switched to accomidate different printers.
    Did you buy parallel cable from Probotix?
    Have you downloaded the Mach3 demo software, it's free?
    Are you using a Laptop or Desktop PC?

What do you mean "the PC paralel port was blown out" please explain.

Good luck

The cable was included in the kit bought from probotix, I used an desktop PC with Ubuntu and EMC2, is a Pentium 4/1.7Ghz, the paralel port included on the MB. First, I try the kit without PC, as in the manual, I adjusted the reference voltage on sidestep boards according to the curent needed for the steppers. But, after I connect the cable to the PC and switch power on controller, the leds lights a moment, go off and LM317 chip get very hot, so I switch power off. I tested the paralel port with an old matrix printer but it won't work, so I try again with another PC, an old 486 from junk and again the paralel port after the same procedure, won't work with the printer. So, I order another paralel port PCI board to repair the Pentium 4, but I wonder what is happened? I will check out the cable with an ohmmeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    Is anyone using this Motor Driver from Probotix? How does it compare to the Xylotex Motor drivers.
    I used these on a small project, they work very well. No issues what so ever.

Chris.
    List of parts sources for CNC builders - http://www.CNCsources.net
    Dyna Mechtronics 4400C Conversion - CNC bed mill w/toolchanger to Mach3 conversion - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787

Quote Originally Posted by Erwinux View Post
    The cable was included in the kit bought from probotix, I used an desktop PC with Ubuntu and EMC2, is a Pentium 4/1.7Ghz, the paralel port included on the MB. First, I try the kit without PC, as in the manual, I adjusted the reference voltage on sidestep boards according to the curent needed for the steppers. But, after I connect the cable to the PC and switch power on controller, the leds lights a moment, go off and LM317 chip get very hot, so I switch power off. I tested the paralel port with an old matrix printer but it won't work, so I try again with another PC, an old 486 from junk and again the paralel port after the same procedure, won't work with the printer. So, I order another paralel port PCI board to repair the Pentium 4, but I wonder what is happened? I will check out the cable with an ohmmeter.
    Sounds like you may have wired something backwards. Although Probotix sells a board that is not opto-isolated, I would not use it. Your experience is why. It's not that difficult to wire something wrong and if the the board it not isolated, you may damage the computer. Probotix also sells an opto-isolated board, which will prevent this from happening.

HTH,

Chris.
    List of parts sources for CNC builders - http://www.CNCsources.net
    Dyna Mechtronics 4400C Conversion - CNC bed mill w/toolchanger to Mach3 conversion - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50787

Sorry for late reply to this thread, the problem was the radiator of the power regulator wich touch the shield of the parralel port connector, and finaly this short-circuit cause the controller boards to get 24V on the 5V line, the chips got smoke and was burned. Probotix had send us another boards kit (thanks a lot!), this time with isolated interface and everythings work fine. We tested the boards with steppers and the EMC2. But my friend had no time to finalize the mechanical parts since, he had a lot of work to do.

Erwinux.