Hi,

I'd do the same as you if I had the option. I don't think we have the same small odd job type machine shops here in the UK, at least I can't find anything locally.
I don't believe you, the UK used to have a reputation for engineering excellence and capability and now you can't find a medium capacity surface grinder?
Even if you don't grind them you could put them in a mill and that will get them to 0.02mm even old clapped out workhorse mills can do that.

About four or five blocks in the other direction there is a company called South Fence, an engineering company that make wire machines for fencing. I' always
known it was there, I mean I driven past it countless times but what I did not know was their capabilities. They have a near new Okuma double column mill
that you could put your car in.......its huge! 4million dollars worth! They have an Okuma five axis that you have to walk inside to load the parts, one million dollars worth.
The point is they don't have a sign hanging outside saying that, it was only when I was looking for a company to machine my cast iron mill parts that I realized
their capability. $170NZD/hour, so not cheap but the results are better than I can measure.

If you want that sort of capability you have to find it, they won't come knocking on your door.

Craig