586,103 active members*
3,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Proper Connection of Shuttle Jog Controller.

Proper Connection of Shuttle Jog Controller.

Hi Guys

I am finalizing the wiring between my Keyboard and Computer and have a question on hooking up the USB Devices. Can you run the Shuttle Jog Controller from one of the Mini Keyboard USB connectors or should you run a separate USB line back to the Computer? What about for the Mouse and USB Hub? I understand that normally, USB devices can be plugged into each other but I am not sure if this is true with CNC controls?

I will have the following USB items:
    (1) Keyboard
    (2) Mouse
    (3) Shuttle Jog Controller
    (4) USB Hub for Memory Stick.

Should I run separate USB lines for each item or can they be piggybacked?

Thanks for your help.

Willy

Hey Willyb, I ran my shuttle and mouse right off my mini keyboard and it works fine. Some others had problems with this setup, so I cant guarantee that it will work out for you.

With the flash drive, mine wouldn't work through the keyboard. I ended up running a USB cable from the PC cabinet to the tool cabinet under the machine table. Its a bit of a pain to go in there to load a program, but a lot easier than the PC cabinet.
    Live free or die

Based on my unpleasant experience of using a hub, I have all each USB component on its own extension cable back to the PC. When they were plugged into a hub there were motion glitches and inconsistent jogging.

For all I know, it might have been the hub I was using. But I figured it was safer not to be daisy-chaining another hub to the hub already built into the motherboard.

Best regards,

Randy

Thanks Guys for your help with my question.

I think I will go with a separate USB lines for the Keyboard, Mouse, Shuttle Jog and Memory Stick. I have enough problems with Computers with out asking for it. Just need to order some USB Extension cables. Hope my Shuttle Jog shows up soon and I can get this wired up. Thanks again.

Willy