586,102 active members*
2,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

V2XT drive fault detected

Hi again.

I just got my machine powered up and x,y,z all home fine but when I tried out my spindle it started up and then stopped and I got a message that said pm drive fault detected, check log. So I tried it again and the same thing. So I rebooted the machine and the same thing. I am new to this machine so any comments will be helpful.

Thanks

Any time I read that a machine failed when the spindle was turned on, I suspect that it is on a phase converter. Is it?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Spindle issues

I had the Bridgeport guy who installed the machine come back. He said that its the overload that tripped and I'm probably going to have to replace it. After he hit the reset on that overload box the sindle ran ok. He said after you rewire a machine for a different voltage you really want to change that paticular overload box.

Thats all for now

Thanks

I have a V2XT and it is on a VFD. It work OK for a little while but it gets a Drive Fault as the motor ramps up to speed. I can turn the VFD off and turn the spindle on and I do not get a drive fault. Anyone else seen this?

I'm not sure how a VFD works but when ever your using a phase converter and you get a drive fault at start up it usually means your not getting enough power. After I got a bigger phase converter I had not more problems.

I did find the problem. The machine is new to me and drive fault would appear sometimes even when moving the axis. It would appear every time I started the VFD motor driver. I set the VFD to only turn on from the VFD front panel. I could tell the V2XT to enable the spindle and the V2XT shows the spindle running Then I would turn on the motor from the VFD front panel and the drive fault error would appear. I checked the DC voltage to servo drives it was only 100VDC. The voltage from the transformer was 74VAC. I change the connection on the secondary transformer to the 90VAC tap and the DC voltage went to 130VDC and the machine ran fine today for about 2 hours (that was all the time I had left after trouble shooting). I got one small part made and learned a lot about CNC programming.