587,047 active members*
2,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help choosing a machine

I'm interested in getting a milling machine for small hobby work, and possibly CNC conversion if I can afford it.
    I was looking on ebay and found this, I was origionaly looking second hand but couldnt really find anything, and the seller says it would be suitable for CNC conversion.

Can anyone give me a run down on what would be needed for CNC in adittion to the mill?

Secondly, I have an old windows PC (pentium 3 1.somethingGHz, windows XP, 64MB of RAM). Could I run any CNC programs on it or would I need something more powerfull.

Thirdly, how much does a CNC conversion on a small mill cost?

thats a seigx2 just branded under another name as for kit i know there are some available in the us but for the uk i dont know
    as for part by part well you would need the same as always
    3x ballscrews with matching ballnut
    3x stepper or servo nem23 would be enough insize and in torque any servo or stepper in the 250oz range would be enough
    3x matching driver for you stepper or servo (the favorite around here are gecko drive)
    1x breakout board
    1x powersupply (this will need to be chosen in regard to the stepper or servo and the driver you choose

as for the rest like counterweight for the head of the motor mount they can all be done before you start the conversion if you have the material for it

the pc should be ok to run a controler but i would get at least an extra 256mb of ram mostly if you want to run xp even 512mb would be better
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own. -Les opinions exprimé dans ce messages sont les mienne

That looks like a good deal on a mill similar to the Sieg X2 and this one.
    You'll need to add mounts for stepper motors and the electronics to run them.
    Conversion to ballscrews too would be beneficial.
    Several companies sell ballscrews and mounting kits like CncFusion.
    Electronics and stepper kits are available from Xylotex and Keling to name a couple.
    Your PC is plenty powerful, just could use some more RAM (256M)
    If you're interested in making the parts yourself, there are free plans Here.
    To buy the kits you're looking at around $800 - 1200, doing a lot yourself could save $300 - 400.
    Hoss