586,103 active members*
3,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Templates in UG NX5 (or 4)

I have been given the task of creating templates for similar jobs that come up. It involves programming a part, then deleting the geometry and saving as a template for use the next time it's needed.

I know there aren't too many UG users here, or least ones that post, but I'd like to know if any one has done this. This is apparently different from just saving the programs to a library, then recalling them, but I don't have a grasp on how it's different as yet.

I am reading the help files now, and re-reading them, but that's slow for my learning style, and help files can be a bit vague. Perhaps some of you have some experience in this area. Thanks.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Camm, I do this all the time.

Loading a CAM template (or Setup), is very much like importing one part into another part. Except, instead of importing geometry, you are importing the CAM objects. the only other hitch is that the template is used for 2 things, importing the CAM objects when you first select the template, and also setting up the dialog for creating new objects.
    If you select an object (group, tool, operation, geometry, method), Right-click -> Object -> Template setting, you'll see 2 check-boxes. "Template" & "Load with Parent".
    "Template" makes that object available on the "Create" dialog for that object type.
    "Load with Parent" creates that object when you initialize the setup using that template. (enter the Manufacturing module for the first time with that part.)

Does that help?

Be Well

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmeister View Post
    Camm, I do this all the time.

Loading a CAM template (or Setup), is very much like importing one part into another part. Except, instead of importing geometry, you are importing the CAM objects. the only other hitch is that the template is used for 2 things, importing the CAM objects when you first select the template, and also setting up the dialog for creating new objects.
    If you select an object (group, tool, operation, geometry, method), Right-click -> Object -> Template setting, you'll see 2 check-boxes. "Template" & "Load with Parent".
    "Template" makes that object available on the "Create" dialog for that object type.
    "Load with Parent" creates that object when you initialize the setup using that template. (enter the Manufacturing module for the first time with that part.)

Does that help?

Be Well
    Brewmeister, thanks for the post. I've been doing some study on this and I'm starting to understand it. There's a small section in "i get it" which my company subscribes to, and they have an exercise on making a template, and then applying it. But I still didn't understand the "template and load with parent" part. Your explanation has helped. The help files say you can make a template for anything, so one of the things I'm going to work on is a tool list. What I'd really like to do, is to make a tool list for all the materials we use, with all the appropriate speeds and feeds for the scenario. Lots of work, but useful later! Thanks so much for the help, and if you have any more thoughts, let me know.
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

Camm, That's usually the bit people get hung up on.

If you're going to spend the time on Tools, Speeds & Feeds, take a look at the Tool Library & Machining Data Library(V5) (replaces the old Feeds & Speeds Library).
    Once you have the library populated, you can hit "Set Machining Data" on the feedrates dialog, and the Feeds, Speeds, depth of cut & stepover values will be set automatically based on your Part Material, Tool Material, Cut Method & Tool Dia. and Length.

I have many customers still doing this all in templates. Only because they don't want to invest the time setting up the libraries. In most cases, each customer has a limited number of tools, part materials, and methods. Even so, this can result in a lot of templates, or some very large templates.

Be Well
    "Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong!"
    T Briggs (CAM dude) - Siemens PLM Software