586,035 active members*
3,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Dorian JUNKDEX tool turret

Thumbs up Dorian JUNKDEX tool turret

Does any one have trouble with the Dorian smart dex 25 turret unlatching or tripping in the middle of a cut or continuing to index round and round?

Wahoo! There IS a problem I haven't had yet!! I honestly do not know if my tool changer is the same type as yours but I have had it grab the wrong tools, spin the wrong way and about every 20th startup forget what tool is in the spindle... Sorry I can't help but I bet it's an easy fix...
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

In my case it was a mill though, you're talking about a lathe, yes/no??

Yes It Is A Lathe 8 Station Tool Changer

Ours needs at least 90 psi air to keep it locked in position, since we learned that and fixed it, it has never unlatched. ML20 lathe. The indexing problem sounds like a proximity switch. Call Dorian for the service manual.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
    Ours needs at least 90 psi air to keep it locked in position, since we learned that and fixed it, it has never unlatched. ML20 lathe. The indexing problem sounds like a proximity switch. Call Dorian for the service manual.

Sorry about this message being hard to read, well maybe, I'm on my phone at a gas station...

Never-the-less, if the PSI is the problem, you would be wise to install a small air tank between your main line and the machine itself. On our mill the PSI would drop too much during tool changes because of the shear volume of air required. This resulted in the pressure dropping too low momentarily because of the minute expansion of the air hose itself at rest. The immediate blast of air going out would supply a quick blast to operate the changer but the diameter line we were using constricted the air flow enough to kick my drive motors out. It normally happened when someone used another air hose at the same time as my mill was doing a tool change.

For an example of what I mean, think of a garden hose running in your yard. Kink it and it will build up pressure but when you unkink it you will have high volume until the flex in the hose regains its shape and then you go right back to whatever flow rate it had before the kink.

Anyhow, sorry about the lack of details. Like I said I'm on a blackberry waiting for a customer, good luck!