586,067 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > fadal spindle failure
Page 1 of 4 123

fadal spindle failure

We have 7 Fadal maching centers. % 4020's and 2 8030's. In the last year we have had to replace over a dozen spindles, 4 of which have been in one machine! The shortest spindle life that we've seen thus far was less than 48 hours of operation.

Are we the only ones having these kinds of problems?
    Please advise.

Some questions about your spindle problems.

I service over 100 Fadals and in the past year I have replaced less than 5 spindles.

Where are you buying your replacement spindles?
    Is the chiller system working properly?
    Are there any air lines to spindle that may have moisture in them?
    Are there any open holes on the new spindles that could be drawing in dirt?
    What rpm do you run at and for how long?

-The Replacement spindals are coming from Fadal.
    -I check the chiller system every monday, and have not seen any problems.
    -There are airline driers on each machine that came on the machines when we bought them. I clean these weeekly also.
    -I have not seen any open holes in the new spindals.
    -we usually run them right at 10k but for no longer than 1-2 hours per part.

These spindles need to be warmed up before they are ran at a constant 10K. In fact I will go out on a limb and say that these Fadal 10K spindles should really be rated at 8K due to the shorter life you get above 8K

You definately get a shortened lifespan running above 8500RPM.
    I have run my machine at 10K 16+ hours at a time with a few hours cool down in between.
    These spindles aren't bad at all.

I did have Andy's partner do the install though. ;-)
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

All machines have a duty cycle on the spindles. I think that they should do a better job of letting the end users know what this is. I do know thru experience that the air/oil spindles can be run at full RPM for extended periods of time. Unlike the "grease pack" spindles that require a down period.

For moldmaking I would say that the air/oil is a must. Also other manufactures are selling 12K air/oil spindles so one can run say 11.5K primarly without sacraficing much.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

We have a 1994 4020 with 10k spindle. We mill mostly aluminum. I believe since '94, we have gone through about 12 spindles. They were all grease pack jobs. The last time we had a failure, I asked about an air/oil 10k spindle. They said there was a kit and that it could be added. We've been running on this spindle now for about 4 years. It runs 10k most of the time. Definitely something to consider when you have the next failure.

:banana:

We ran our spindle from 100RPM up to 10K over a 15-minute span to allow it to warm up, than began a machining cycle with the Z backed off to keep it clear of the part for the first pass... 5 minutes into the cycle, it (the spindle) started screeching and squealing like mad.

I ask this in all sincerity: Is this a known problem with Fadal spindles? We have a brand-new 2216FX, 15K spindle, chiller, through-spindle coolant.
    With all the other problems we've had with this machine in less than 3 weeks, I'm starting to doubt the wisdom of this purchase.

In the shop I work at we have 12 Fadals. And there was just replaced a second spindle in one of the machines over the 12 years I've worked there (There was just two machines when I started there, and their spindles have not been replaced.) The yellow tag from the new spindle says RPM's over 8000 RPM the machine should not be ran more than 4 hours continously without a 1/2 hour break. We run a lot of aluminum, and most of our spindles are on 10,000 RPM machines. One machine which the spindle went out on was bought new in 98. And this last machine was one that was bought used. All the machines except two, where bought used.
    Safety - Quality - Production.

Had the spindle (with the chiller) on our new 2216FX repaired Thursday and Friday. Today (Sunday) it's back to whining and screeching again, and doing it below 5K RPM.
    We've run exactly TWO parts with this machine, and the only tool has been a Ø.500" endmill doing a light (.020" DOC x 1" long) pass on 5456 Aluminum.

Sounds more like a belt issue than a spindle issue. I wonder if that axis mtoor has a tension cable like the older Fadals. We had belts sound like crunching and squeeling and htought we had 2 bad spindles...tunred out the motor mounts were shot and the axis motor was out of position allowing the top of the pulley to hit the top of the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    I wonder if that axis mtoor has a tension cable like the older Fadals.
    The tensioner was one of the things he replaced last week.

Well guys, you have covered all the bases!! Because of these problems, we now build all our reconditioned spindles with 12k grease pack spindle bearings and you can run 100% duty cycle. We are not perfect, but damed good and you get a 1 year warranty with expedited shipping. Returns are seldom. $2995 and they are on the shelf if you unfortunately need one.

Best regards,
    The Undertaker.....
    Brian D.
    www.FadalCNC.com
    208-855-9426

Man, I am sorry you are having all these problems. Its hard to think that fadal is making such crappy machines. I really dont know What I would do in your shoes, probably tell them to pickup this piece of $hit and get it out of my shop!!! Then call Haas, Hurco, Mazak, Bridgeport, Okuma, anybody that could get a quality machine on my floor ASAP.

Oh, that's a little rough. I spent years working on all brands and they all have their isses from time to time. You only change shades of green, the grass is no different on either side of the fence.

Brian D.

The grass on the okuma side of my shop is definatly greener than the fadal side

Of course the grass cost more...

We have had a Fadal 6030 with a 10K grease pack spindle in our shop since the middle of August. I have used it at 10K, about 15 minutes at a time, but mostly it does not exceed 4500 RPM. We've had no spindle problems, except for through spindle coolant seals leaking. Fadal replaced them a month ago and they lasted for a week before they leaked again!

I would say that you have an unfortunate situation and not normal to Fadal. Your technician needs to be sure the coolant pump has an out going filter (about 100 micron, flow about 5 gpm @ 400 PSI min.) and he knows how to rebuild the through spindle coolant properly with allignments. If not, you will not have it working right. I know Fadal does not offer a filter or include one on a new machine, but they are easily to be had if you look around.

As far as the Okuma comment, I cannot resist my story at Whiteman Industries (you will commericaly know them as "Multiquip." And they make cement trowells, construction lighting, and more) who ripped off their Okuma side mount tool changer arm and broke it in half. Yep, it took nearly a month to get a new one and when it was received, it was $13k when the Mori equivilant was about $4k and from Haas the same. You will have your day, and I wonder exactly why you are here if you disslike Fadal's as you do. Most of their issues stemmed from poor local support and well, have you tried to hire someone worth a grain of salt these days in America? We all have troubles, but bashing here is uncalled for until you really know the consiquences of your own finger pointing!!

Brian D.

Your the one that bashed every other manufacturer claiming Fadal is equal.

Maybe your promoting Fadal because you want more machines to fix......

Besides I have both machines sitting next to each other. It's a no brainer which machine is built better.

Page 1 of 4 123