586,551 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

M-500 Laser Question

Hello, this is my first port. We have this laser and have been happy with it. I have been having trouble when trying cut or etch small 4pt fonts into plastic matieral. I am using coral draw to create the text, then output to the laser. What seems to be happening is that there is too much power and the letters are melting together, i have tried to adjust the power and speed.

After further inspection it seems that the fonts are being traced, intead of cutting a single line. I have tried to reseach this online, even downloaded a few fonts and cannot get the results I need.

I was hoping someone might be able to lend some insight ??

Also, I have noticed there seems to be an outline on some of the cuts we do. I am pretty sure the mirrors need to be adjusted, but i can't find the directions on how to complete this operation.

Thanks in advance,
    Erich

Are you using vector or rastor mode? For this you use rastor, or it will cut. I don't know how your laser works but on most the Corel Print Driver allows you to select rastor or vector mode. The head should be moving back and forth like an old dot matrix printer, not going around each letter like when cutting.

When you are engraving you need a fast speed and low power, on my 45 watt I go with 400 dpi, speed 95% power 40%. I can do 3 point letters that I need a magnifying glass to see but they are perfect.