586,077 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Why do you use your left hand
Page 1 of 2 12

Why do you use your left hand

To pick up small objects when you're right handed, or is it just me?

I was stamping about 50 stainless steel jigs with part numbers and had to pick out and insert the various numbers and letters into the stamp holder then batter this tool with a lump hammer to stamp the parts.

In my boredom, I noticed that even whilst I'm right handed- to pick the fiddly letters etc out I used my left hand... why is this so? also! I noticed that if I'm picking out some small screws from my junk bucket of nuts n bolts, again I use my left hand.

Is it just me or is there an explanation?
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Ambidexterity :wave:
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Your right hand was busy doing something else?
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Ruh roh, raggy!

Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"Ambidexterity"

I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

The Dominant Hand is For Precision and Power

The other hand is for holding.

Hold the part in the left hand; hold the screwdriver in the right hand.

It is not just you.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I eat and write left handed. I throw, hammer, twist a screwdriver right handed. I can drive a nail with either hand....the left is not as strong as the right so I normally use the right. Being able to drive a nail with either comes in very handy when you are in a corner. Start a nut on a bolt with either. My oldest son is the same way...the other son is strictly right handed.

Quote Originally Posted by ImanCarrot View Post
    Dear ImanCarrot,

I think you were probably "wired-up" in the womb with a most useful facility that most right-handers do not have. Any task that requires a modicum of strength or precision is done with the right side of my body, be it arm, foot, hand or finger. The only exception is the ability to change gears in my van with my left hand, and that seems natural. Driving in Europe, right handed gear shifts feel distinctly un-natural. I suppose that means that half my body is pretty much under-utilised, and is only used for gripping.

Here is another strange thing... If you look at an object about thirty feet away, and point at it with both eyes open with your finger, and subsequently close each eye in turn, it is my left eye that is in line between my finger and the object, even though I am absolutely right handed. The right eye comes nowhere close.

Curious stuff really...

Best wishes,

Martin

holds the fish while I fillet it

Keep the right brain juice moving -- womb wiring is one thought - training and development another...

I have spent several (over 5) years back and forth across the "lanes" - intentionally. My first observation on moving to the "wrong side of the road" - a bit more concentration seemed to be required - and I felt like I was a better driver for it.
    Since then, they seem to be equal skills - adaptation/acomodation I guess. The pathway between the left and right hemispheres can be increased through similar training activities (corpus colusum I believe its called). There is a book left brain/right comes to mind and, The Brain Book by Russel Peters

Careful, how your brain acts and responds (left/right) it will change how you think... Maybe thats why they say, "Don't take it out and play with it!"
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

[QUOTE=High Seas;351934]holds the fish while I fillet it

QUOTE]

Dear High Seas,

I would never even consider holding a slippery fish with my right hand while trying to gut it with a sharp knife in my left one. It seems like I would be asking for a whole shed-load of trouble.

A whole cerebral hemisphere under-utilised maybe, but I'm not going to be able to comprehensively re-wire it now.

By the way,

Safe Passage...

Best wishes,

Martin

lefty here

i am a lefty and i do almost every thing left handed except for tools that are right handed only. i use right hand for mouse but when i use an axe or sledge hammer i can do either just as well. i heard something awhile ago: lefty's right hands are stronger and more capable than righty's lefts. i think it is better to be either a lefty or ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by bookwurm99 View Post
    i am a lefty and i do almost every thing left handed except for tools that are right handed only. i use right hand for mouse but when i use an axe or sledge hammer i can do either just as well. i heard something awhile ago: lefty's right hands are stronger and more capable than righty's lefts. i think it is better to be either a lefty or ambidextrous.
    Dear bookworm99,

That is probably true about the strength of the right side of left-handed people being far greater than the left side of right-handed people. I think also that left-handed people are, by and large, more intelligent.

But that opinion comes from someone who is merely right-handed...

Best wishes,

Martin

Because I have one.

To pick up small objects when you're right handed, or is it just me?

I was stamping about 50 stainless steel jigs with part numbers and had to pick out and insert the various numbers and letters into the stamp holder then batter this tool with a lump hammer to stamp the parts.

In my boredom, I noticed that even whilst I'm right handed- to pick the fiddly letters etc out I used my left hand... why is this so? also! I noticed that if I'm picking out some small screws from my junk bucket of nuts n bolts, again I use my left hand.

For the sequence you describe I find it d****d difficult using only the right hand to pick up the stamp, put it in the holder, balance it on the part and then pick up the hammer and bang it before it falls over.

The explanation for using two hands is that it is much much easier.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

It's different for me.

I use my left hand because i broke my neck when i was 16 and now it's the only hand i got use of. Kidds, don't drink and ride!
    Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

jrrdw beat me to it. I was flying a snowmobile upside down @100+ mph when I did my right arm in. lol
    DZASTR

Yea, that 100+ thing is kinda hard on the body. Humans wern't made to take hits at that kinda speed.
    Make sure you clean my wrench before you put it back into my toolbox.

ImanCarrot,

Perhaps you're just getting in touch with your feminine side...*chuckle*

Actually, I suspect that your brain (if right handed) has decided that you're only picking stuff up (fine motor skills not required, etc.)....if you've noticed one you have picked it up....if you're going to examine the part you transfer it to your right hand////

Quote Originally Posted by jrrdw View Post
    I use my left hand because i broke my neck when i was 16 and now it's the only hand i got use of. Kidds, don't drink and ride!
    Dear jrrdw,

Maximum respect for a sound message,

Best wishes,

Martin

Your right hand is your good hand. That's why you hit your left hand with a hammer while nailing something.
    Wayne Hill

Page 1 of 2 12