586,094 active members*
3,709 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > What Sherline Lathe Accessories To Buy And When?

What Sherline Lathe Accessories To Buy And When?

I am starting to tool up a Sherline CNC lathe.

And of course I want all the accessories NOW. ;<)

What would your suggestions be in regard to buying which Sherline (and
    non Sherline) accessories and in what order?

Any suggestions for lower cost alternatives are welcome.

Thanks

TMT

It largely depends on what you're doing. Normal work generally can be completed with just a three jaw chuck. Smaller work and/or more accurate jobs will often require an assortment of WW collets and the related holder. Odd-shaped parts and ones that require control of runout will often be best done with a four jaw chuck. Do you plan on doing any drilling? That needs a tail stock and a Jacobs chuck.

The accessories you purchase depend entirely on the type of work you're doing.

So far, one of the best purchases I made for my Sherline was an indexable lathe tool holder. With a little modification, I can now use standard carbide indexable tooling on a Sherline. It definitely beats having to grind HSS by hand and those inserts last seemingly forever.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Most items from sherline will fit the Taig so I assume that vice versa will work also.
    What you need depends upon what you are going to do, but it always nice to be prepared for the unexepected...
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools View Post
    I am starting to tool up a Sherline CNC lathe.

And of course I want all the accessories NOW. ;<)

What would your suggestions be in regard to buying which Sherline (and
    non Sherline) accessories and in what order?

Any suggestions for lower cost alternatives are welcome.

Thanks

TMT
    Thanks for the responses.

To put this more in focus, assume I have $1000 to spend...what do I spend it on?

I am looking for a suggested order list of Sherline tooling.

Thanks

TMT

Quote Originally Posted by Too_Many_Tools View Post
    I am looking for a suggested order list of Sherline tooling.
    First of all, buy a Bison 2-1/3" 3-jaw chuck. Second chuck down on http://www.brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html 7-810-0225 is the right one. It is light years ahead of the Sherline 3-jaw, and I wish I had bought one years ago. It adjusts smoothly, holds tightly, and is very concentric for a 3-jaw. And the jaws are longer than the Sherline's for good stability.

Best regards,

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTrains View Post
    First of all, buy a Bison 2-1/3" 3-jaw chuck. Second chuck down on http://www.brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html 7-810-0225 is the right one. It is light years ahead of the Sherline 3-jaw, and I wish I had bought one years ago. It adjusts smoothly, holds tightly, and is very concentric for a 3-jaw. And the jaws are longer than the Sherline's for good stability.

Best regards,

Randy
    Thanks for the advice...specific items and in what sequence of purchasing is what I am looking for.

Any other items that come to mind...especially non Sherline items that are better than the Sherline equivalents.

TMT

My favorite turning tool is a CWPR-0630 plunge-and-turn carbide insert from Century Tool http://www.centtool.com These inserts have relief on the front and both sides, and can cut to the left, right, and straight in. They are really nice for profiling. The size I use is .063" wide and has a maximum depth of cut of .250", and proportionally larger cutters are also available. With the first order of inserts Century threw in a holder.

Obviously, I can't turn a concave (groovish) shape narrower than the insert, but that hasn't been a limitation for me so far.

Oh, and I don't use the Sherline 4-jaw chuck either. I use a Taig 4-jaw, much beefier. For larger-diameter workpieces, though, I need to employ the headstock riser block (but I have only used that with Renshape foam and acrylic plastic.)

Both the Bison and Taig chucks should have a small face-down on the back side for better engagement with the Sherline spindle nose. There are some pics of the chucks and my lathe on my small Sherline page at http://www.prototrains.com/lathe/lathe.html

Best regards,

Randy