586,106 active members*
3,267 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Material Machining Solutions > Precision cutting of stone with diamond tools

Precision cutting of stone with diamond tools

Hi,

Does anyone have tool vendor suggestions for diamond tools for stone cutting? I am particularly interested in cutting Jade, Jasper and Moss Agate. What does it take to cut these materials with precision?
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Hi jemmyell,

I never had to cut these stones you mentioned but here two addresses from suppliers I use often.

http://www.nicolaidiamant.com/
    http://www.marmoelettro.it/

When you search for diamond tools on the internet with google you'll find many many more suppliers.

I might be wrong but I belief Jade is quite a soft stone therefore you'll need a electroplateted diamond tool to get a precise cut.

I used this tools as small as 2mm diameter on soft marble for engraving.

cu

Juergen

Hi,

No, Jade is quite hard, mohs hardness of about 7 I think for nephrite Jade. The Agate is about the same, so the carbide tools I use for pearl and abalone are not good for this. This is just an experiment I want to pursue for guitar rosettes.
    James Leonard - www.DragonCNC.com - www.LeonardCNCSoftware.com - www.CorelDRAWCadCam.com - www.LeonardMusicalInstruments.com

Hi,

ok with a hardness of about 7 it is as hard as granite. It means you will need diamond tools. What I don't know is what machines are you going to use to cut your Jade, just an angel grinder or a CNC-router? In case of an angel grinder go to your next hardware shop and get a diamond blade for 20$.

As you mentioned it is just an experiment, it might be an idea to go to the next Marble and Granite place, they've got all tools for cutting and polishing for Stone, specially places which produce kitchen bench tops and vanities. I'm sure they'll help you out. Here in Australia they would.

You also can talk to any diamond tool supplier.

byebye and have fun

Juergen

Do a search for Lapidary supplies.