586,214 active members*
3,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Kollmorgen Scooter Motor Power Supply?

Kollmorgen Scooter Motor Power Supply?

I just got one of those cool little scooter motors that Kollmorgen makes/made for scooters and was debating using it for my mill to drive the spindle. What type of power supply would be appropriate for powering it. It being a 24 volt 400 watt motor it works out to be about 17 amps. But that seems to be a bit high. In fact, it seems really high. Are these just not cut out to be used in this manner with a power supply. By that i mean, do i need a battery pack to use them or would a good power supply be enough?

Well, after the overwhelming response i've received from this post I decided to try again. After contacting the seller, I was told that two 12volt 10amp batteries are what usually runs the motor. So is there a power supply, such as one from Keling Inc that would be appropriate. Thx again

The Keling ps would probably work ok.

What do you plan to use for spindle speed control?

Just wondering.
    Pres

The kollmorgens already have the speed control built in to them. All you need is a potentiometer. So, of the power supplies available at Keling. Which one would be appropriate. The biggest 24volt they have only supplies 8.3 amp and its only 300watts. Would that be enough? Thx

I think you may run into a problem once you set your spindle speed and then engage the workpiece. I do not think the Kollmorgen built in speed control is a constant speed control i.e. your speed will immediately decrease as soon as you engage. You may have to continually adjust your speed as you cut to maintain the desired speed dependent upon feed rate and depth of cut at any single point in the program. Just a thought as I don't see a 5k pot. being a very effective speed controller.

Very true but that seems to be the case with my sieg anyways. It doesnt have any sort of feedback to keep it running at a constant speed either. For the most part, because I mill aluminum almost exclusively it has not been a problem really. I also always use a small cutter (1/4) unless I'm doing facing work and then 1/2 is as big as I go or a flycutter.

Then in that case I think you will be very happy with the power of the Kollmorgen motors. I have two of them and they haven't let me down but I have only used them for wood and as you, I only use 1/4" bits.

Awesome, now all I need is some info on what kind of powersupply would I need.