586,119 active members*
3,574 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Compact Flash to IDE/ATA adapter?

Any one have experience with these? Do they work like a regular HD? I want to use it instead of a regular HD for a cnc dedicated PC.

http://www.1powershop.com/en/compute...-cf-2-ide.html

Thanks
    Dennis

I know alot of carPC people use them to get 7-12sec start ups. Check over at www.mp3car.com for more info

Yup, they work great and the can take a bumpy ride without crashing. There's also a guy somewhere in Asia that use to have an ad at eBay with two CF connectors, a couple of friends ordered them to run in old laptops (in the car, that is). No problem at all.

Regards,
    Sven

Go for it

I use the setup you are considering for my cnc router pc. It is brilliant :banana:
    The card identifies as a harddrive on your pc and works the same. In my case I am using turbocnc on dos, so my CF card has the entire operating system, turbocnc and the file I want to cut on it.

The reason I did this is to make it easy to transfer my files to the pc as dos does not network very well and the floppy drive was too small to hold some of my photovcarve files (several meg). It all fits on a old 8meg CF card.

It's boot time is very quick, 30 seconds
    I put the card in my Desktop pc and drop the required file onto it.
    Plug it in on the cnc PC and away I go.
    You won't be disappointed.

PS get one that is externally mounted either on the back or front of the PC.

Cheers
    Peter

I also use one for my Turbocnc setup. I have Dos and Turbocnc on the the cf card permanently setup internally and then use a jump drive to hold the cutting files.
    In other words, I treat it like a hard drive and do not remove it to change the g-code files. one of my concerns is the "limited" writing times of the cf so I made all the files (including the ini file) Read Only on the cf. About the only thing that changes is the "last position" which I don't care about anyhow as normal setup procedures always includes homing to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be anyhow.
    Works like a charm and have used it for about a year now.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Hi Bubba,

I haven't come across jump drives but a guick google search shows it to be a usb flash drive of some description. How do you access usb from within DOS? The inability of DOS to use usb was the main reason for the CF card in the first place.

It hadn't realised there were a limited number of write cycles for CF cards but at 100000 cycles it should take years for me to wear one out. Especially as I like you do not write to the card in the normal course of machining. Only the part file is changed.

I found a series of files on the turbocnc group file section that loads the necessary drivers to allow the use of the jump drive. It does NOT allow hot swap and has to be plugged in when you boot the system, but it works for me.
    It took some trial and error to get things setup as the documentation was not the greatest in the world for this dummy. I need 1....2...N documentation to figure things out:}) Anyhow, now have it working and I have used a couple different drives in this setup. If you want more info or the files, let me know.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Thanks for the tips, got the card and reader on the way.
    Dennis

will this be for your router or bridgeport?

Here is the card and IDE connector. I will do some test in a little to see how windows likes the card as a HD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CompactFlash.jpg  
    Dennis

I see 8Gb cards on Ebay for about $70. 2 of these might make a nice Mach3 machine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use those all the time. The only change I make is that CF cards are FAT16 from the factory so I change that to FAT32 to get smaller sectors. I run Win2000 with 2GB of RAM. Then I turn off virtual memory to prevent the card from premature wear from the constant write and re-write caused by virtual memory.