586,075 active members*
4,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NextEngine 3D scanner info needed?

I am interested in possibly buying one of these to duplicate parts for woodworking. Does anyone use these to say duplicate woodworking like mouldings or whatever?

A friend who has one has sent me some files he has scanned of a small bust but it turns out to be 45 megs in size and that bogs down my toolpath generation software and wondered if anyone who uses this for woodworking can advise me on settings,ect to lower the filesize to make it manageable or just give me some good advice?

Also is there a way to access the thinkengine user forum if you are not an owner? or the wiki? i'd like to talk to other owners before i buy.

You can't get on the forum unless you own a machine.

File size is related to the coarseness of the mesh, so unless it's a part without much detail, like a smooth sphere, file sizes will be bigger than most people are used to dealing with in many CAD programs. You can make the mesh coarser but at the cost of detail. Some software has limits on file sizes it can deal with, some don't. It also might be related to the amount of RAM you have. If you can convert the mesh to surfaces, the size will drop, but you might not be able to keep the detail you want.

next engine scanning

You can adjust file size by changing simplification on the scan window.
    Don

I have one of these scanners and I suggest you just ask them if you can have temporary access to their forum, I was allowed on there before I bought the machine, I didn't know they changed their policy regarding this... It's worth a shot!!
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Cool PS

Don't they still have the 30 day money back guarantee?? Maybe you should buy it for the trial and see if it works, if you planning on buying one anyway it wouldn't hurt a thing but if it didn't work you're out nothing too!! Win-win!!
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

They are very helpful. I was scanning an object and it turned out to be GIGs. I changed the settings after speaking to the tech and it helped out ALOT!

45 Megs is alot, try changing the resolution in the set up, prior to scanning.

-steve