586,051 active members*
3,644 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Milling Force Equations

Milling Force Equations

Hey all,

I am looking for some equations that will allow me to calculate the milling forces experienced by a cutter (such as a 2 or 4 flute HSS end mill) when cutting in a material (i.e. wood or aluminum). I know that it must vary depending on speed and feeds, but I have been unable to find any equations for calculating these forces.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Well - to greatly simplify the answer - it is a function of the shear strength of the material being cut, the shear angles of the cutter and just a few other variables....

It would likely be easier to look at the power available of a commercial machine and attempt to equate it to your application - not only the spindle power but power supplied to the axii as well and calculate in the advantage of the leadscrew then subtract the friction of the guiding mechanisms.

There are power requirement numbers on the net for cutting various materials. Google is your friend for this.

Might not be the answers you were looking for, and definately far from complete, but you asked for any help!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

http://metalworking.com/shareware.html
    download machine zip file ,this calculates horse power and the force on the cutter

www.lovejoytool.com

Click on "Free Stuff"- they got a nifty downloadable calculator for Feeds, Speeds, Horsepower required , RPM, IPM, DOC, WOC, Metal Removal Rate etc etc.

They'll even send you a nice little slide rule calculator thingy that you can play with in the pub

I have no connection with this company other than they sent me a free calculator thingy.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

You'll find all information here
    http://www.hoffmann-group.com/downlo...gshandbuch.pdf

p112 - p160

If you want, I've an excel file where you can compute the cutting power in tapping, milling, drilling. If you are intersted, don't hesitate to send me a private message