586,103 active members*
2,883 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Stepper Driver, Controller, Breakout board, Home switch, ?????

Stepper Driver, Controller, Breakout board, Home switch, ?????

Hi
    This is a newbie´s cry for help.
    Located in Gothenburg Sweden, it is a bit hard to translate the different stepper motors needs to swedish conditions.
    I am about to start building a router with X-length 1500mm x Y-length 1200mm x Z-depth 400mm, with 3 or 4 axis. It will mill foam, hardwood and maybe soft aluminium.
    Its a djungle out there, I dont understand what is what, cruising the forum dont make me wiser.
    What do i need in electrics to run 4 stepper motors?
    I think I need motors with a holding torque of 4 Nm or do I need larger?
    In Sweden I can buy motors with integrated electronics (?) for about $770 so this will cost me a fortune.
    Therefore I am looking at buying from the US, but then I have to know what I need.
    I hope that somebody is intrested in helping me out.
    regards
    Per

Hi
    I would be very happy for any reply, pointing me in some direction that would enlighten me.
    regards
    perolalars

Hi, I to am unsure about all the electronic stuff. Perhaps the best thing to do is to order some type of packaged deal.

Im looking at 3 axis Xylotex system here http://www.xylotex.com/
    for $345.
    There are many other options I guess.

Hi Mr.Nerd
    And thanks for your reply, but I already considered that option, and since I live i Sweden its a bit far away if something broke.
    Its a 4-axis machine I am planing on building.
    And its a bit hard to know if the motors will be sufficent for my needs when you dont know alot about engineering.
    regards
    perolalars

perolalars

There is a lot to building a successful cnc machine. There are many, many great builds on this site which outline every step of the build. If you want an economic driver solution, you could try www.pminmo.com there are lots of plans for DIY drivers there. Saying that cruising the forum doesn't make you wiser doesn't cut it. Check out some of the build logs, read the discussions on stepper motors, drivers, everything is here, you just need to be proactive and devote some time to research, as most have done before they dive into a project. Your questions are much like "how do I build this machine". There isn't anyone on this forum who will hold your hand and tell you how to build everything, there are however, LOTS of people who are more than willing to direct you and give you advice on certain areas in your build. One of the best ways to do this is to start a thread outlining your build. Pictures, drawings, etc. always seem to attract people and if they see progress they will surely help you out with problems you encounter along the way.

Do not expect anyone to put in time to educate you when you have not put in the time to educate yourself. Read, read, read, then you can ask specific questions you have not found the answers to.

Good Luck on your build
    Matt