586,195 active members*
4,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Here's 60+ hours of work....

This is our first real run of something with our new machine. It took 20 hours for the roughing pass then another 40 for the finishing pass. Mainly due to me not getting the correct tool before I started. (I'm still learning :idea: ) I drew the solid model in VectorWorks, wrote the program using Bobcam and used DeskCNC to run it.

It will be turned into a fiberglass mold.

They're venting louvers if you're wondering WTH it is.

There was a F-up with the finishing pass though. I don't know why BobCam put that step there.

Next project............A Snake

Nice!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I don't see anything...

what is magazine from?

Quote Originally Posted by rustamd View Post
    what is magazine from?
    The mag is for a Glock 21 but I use it as an extra mag for my Glock 30.

I wanted to put something on the part to give it some scale and it's what was handy.
    Step away from the coffee.......

Hi - nice work. I am toying with doing some foam routing for a hobby project with my 10 yr old son.

Is that just plain old home depot styrofoam providing that nice surface, or are you using some type of specific lbs / cu ft stuff ?

Did you find some router bits that work "better / faster"? I am toying with using either just plain wood bits, or I am also looking at some end mills for cutting Al. Suggestions ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    Is that just plain old home depot styrofoam providing that nice surface, or are you using some type of specific lbs / cu ft stuff ?

Did you find some router bits that work "better / faster"? I am toying with using either just plain wood bits, or I am also looking at some end mills for cutting Al. Suggestions ?

Thanks
    It's 1.5# foam, I can't remember what type it is.

For the bit I just used a standard 2-flute 1/4" ball nose running @ about 17,500 RMPs.

you say your going to turn it into a fibreglass mold , are you going to apply the resin directly to the foam ? reason i ask is ive often wondered if the resin would eat thru it like gas does , its something ive been meaning to test but haven t got around to it

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    you say your going to turn it into a fibreglass mold , are you going to apply the resin directly to the foam ? reason i ask is ive often wondered if the resin would eat thru it like gas does , its something ive been meaning to test but haven t got around to it
    Well "I'm" not making it into a fiberglass mold, there's another part of the company that'll be doing that.

IIRC, they'll still need to apply a hard coat.

polyester resin will eat it, as well as vinylester. However, you can coat it with epoxy. White, blue, and pink foams are all "melted" by polyester based resins. Urethane foams can be used with any resin. If it were me, I would hard coat it in epoxy, then run it through another pass on the router.

Post Foam Covered With Glass Fiber

Many things are built using foam covered with glass. All composite air craft are built this way. I have built many pieces this way. It very imortant to use the proper foam and liquid. Though I haven't built parts vacumn bagging the glass to the foam.
    Lee
    The more you know teaches you don't know alot

Quote Originally Posted by mysouthernwings View Post
    polyester resin will eat it, as well as vinylester. However, you can coat it with epoxy. White, blue, and pink foams are all "melted" by polyester based resins. Urethane foams can be used with any resin. If it were me, I would hard coat it in epoxy, then run it through another pass on the router.
    Yes, we will be using a hard coat but running another pass isn't needed. We did a test and the hard coat we'll be using sets smooth enough that all we'll need to do is a bit of light sanding.

Do you mind if I ask what you are coating it with?
    Composites fabricator.

Quote Originally Posted by mysouthernwings View Post
    Do you mind if I ask what you are coating it with?
    I just happen to have the sample in front of me.

Styrospray 715 from a company called Industrial Polymers

It's a two part (1 to 1) mix that you can either brush or spray on.

Dear ajinjax.

I cannot possibly claim to be an expert, but surfboard shapers use polyurethane foam blanks, not styrofoam ones. PU is not eaten away by polyester and styrene. My guess is that even if you coat your polystyrene foam with a coat of something, there may be a few tiny pin-holes, if you are unlucky.

Polyester resin will eat into it as fast as the "Alien's" blood went through the bulkheads of the Nostromo in the first film.

My two cents.. and good luck anyway.

best wishes,

Martin

Question

[QUOTE ajinjax #1]
    There was a F-up with the finishing pass though. I don't know why BobCam put that step there.

Re your other post:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45437
    I understand it was proven that the BCC tool path was not the problem.

Please keep posting your parts projects as you go along - esp. the mistakes. My focus is just hobby, and by the time I get my machine running, I will have learned a ton from your work. - Thanks