586,036 active members*
3,780 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 4th axis oil, no not that thread!

4th axis oil, no not that thread!

i filled my 8" rotary table with oil (not gunna say what kind so i don't start :argue: ) for the first time today and noticed it leaks bad. oil is coming out between the table and the main casting. i have it sitting so the table is on the side not the top. i filled it to the middle of the window like i would assume is correct. i can't find any information on filling it besides what kind of oil to use. does the table need to be laying flat so the table is on top to fill? it seems that oil will still leak out when turned on it's side. i know i saw a post here about coolant entering the 4th axis but i can't find it now.

The simple answer on brand/type of oil is "use what the OEM recommends".

Lacking any info to the contrary, you now have to take a REASONABLE assumption and use something that could/should be viable and benign to the soft metal parts that might be contained therein.

If you take exchange literally on the 4th axis Tormach - a real eye opener - there are two lubes that are should be viable and relatively easy to get - Dexron and/or hypoid gear oil (SAE 80-90). The "Tormach thread" explains why both are viable - I won't bore you with a repeat of the diatribe.

Pursuant to the well documented reasons why in the "Tormach thread", "way oil" is NOT what one could/should consider as being viable for the 4th axis gearing and bearings - unless perhaps and God forbid the OEM recommends it...

"How much" to use is probably something that you're going to have to experiment with....

If the thing is leaking from seals, the ATF might 'condition' the seals and help them seal up. IF the thing is leaking from seams/joints, get some RTV sealant and, after wiping the joint surfaces dry, apply the RTV and re-assemble while wet. Allow to dry and it should be drip/leak free for quite some time to come.

If you will go threw the paper work that come with the
    4th axes table it will tell you that you fill it to the site glass and sit upright in a pan over night and let it leak.

There are no seals to keep it from leaking between the casting and the chuck mounting flange.

It will retain the proper amount of oil in the bottom of
    the casting cavity around the warm screw.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    If you will go threw the paper work that come with the
    4th axes table it will tell you that you fill it to the site glass and sit upright in a pan over night and let it leak.

There are no seals to keep it from leaking between the casting and the chuck mounting flange.

It will retain the proper amount of oil in the bottom of
    the casting cavity around the warm screw.

Chris

thanks. i looked all through the paper work that came with it and didn't see that. lately when i try to click on a pdf file from tormach's site my computer locks up so i have not been able to look there.

Your welcome!