586,080 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > considerations for thread forming taps

considerations for thread forming taps

need to tap 1.5" deep M8 1.25 blind hole in al 6061. first .5" is clearance with no thread. Thinking of thread forming tap for the reason of no chips, single pass,
    anything i need to consider and is this a good application for this type of tool?
    thanks
    joev

thats a good application for a form tap, just remember the tap drill size is different than what you would use for a cutting tap , it maybe worth looking at the tapdrill dia tolerance for that depth of hole , it would be safer tapping if you drill near the top end of the tolerance

Run your coolant very rich or use a tapping fluid like tap magic. Both of these methods have given me good results.

I tap about 3500 5/16-18 1 1/4 deep holes a day .
    Form taps rock.

Do you do this in one shot or with a peck or two?

One shot.
    I'd have to go look to be sure, but I think we're using an"M" drill. 1500 rpm. Balax taps

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    I tap about 3500 5/16-18 1 1/4 deep holes a day .
    Form taps rock.
    indeed they do. i love form taps

I run the OSG form taps in 6061 all day, I agree with everyone else.....they rock! I run my 8mmx1.25mm taps a little on the safe side at 50 SFM, that comes out to about 30 IPM and 606 RPM. I use a 7.4 mm drill which gives you about 70% thread.

OSG and Greenfield both work great. Big fan of form taps for our own projects. Unfortunately, they tend to leave a little bit of a lip at the top of the hole which can easily be cross threaded by careless customers and shop owners.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

a lip? are you making a large enough chamfer at the top of the hole? maybe you need to change the angle of your spot drill. are you using a 60 degree center drill or an NC spot drill?

I'm using a 120-140 degree NC spot and doing a 90 degree chamfer before tapping. It's not like a huge amount of metal's bumping up over the top of the part, but there seems to be a bit of thread before the start of the hole which can be easily bungered up. At least that's my observation with finer/smaller threads like 6-32 and 4-40. Just enough metal's being squeezed up over the top to cause issues. It's a shame, because I'm a huge fan of form taps. Thousands of parts from a single tool and not an ounce of chips to deal with....
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bremenrules View Post
    I'm using a 120-140 degree NC spot and doing a 90 degree chamfer before tapping. It's not like a huge amount of metal's bumping up over the top of the part, but there seems to be a bit of thread before the start of the hole which can be easily bungered up. At least that's my observation with finer/smaller threads like 6-32 and 4-40. Just enough metal's being squeezed up over the top to cause issues. It's a shame, because I'm a huge fan of form taps. Thousands of parts from a single tool and not an ounce of chips to deal with....
    Tap it then spot with 90 degree, with a sharp spot. I do that all the time.

Be careful,there are still some spec's in the aerospace field that prohibits the use of form taps

Roll Form Taps

Roll form taps are superb. I have found where when a regular tap (cut Tap) is used it is not as strong a thread as a cut tap. Each has their advantages and disadvantages . Roll works better for most applications. They will distort the metal sure and if the spot depth is not correct then you get raised distortion of the metal which must be fixed. If it is done right it is hard to beat. Usually where the taps breakthrough I find distorted exit which looks like a raise and must he debured.

Quote Originally Posted by roundman View Post
    Roll form taps are superb. I have found where when a regular tap (cut Tap) is used it is not as strong a thread as a cut tap. Each has their advantages and disadvantages . Roll works better for most applications. They will distort the metal sure and if the spot depth is not correct then you get raised distortion of the metal which must be fixed. If it is done right it is hard to beat. Usually where the taps breakthrough I find distorted exit which looks like a raise and must he debured.
    Have fun exploring, but you are responding to 5 year old posts, several of them.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28