586,713 active members*
3,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dexron used as lubricant?

I read that Dexron III can be used in place of Vactra 68. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

My thought is: why? Is it cost? Vactra 2 is $20/gallon. Dexron III can't be much cheaper. Is there supposed to be some other gain?
    Greg

can you stand the smell day in and day out?????? I know I couldnt!

Initially I thought I could get Vactra in gallons from my local Grainger store, but they only sell in 5 gallon buckets. Where I live the only other place that may have Vactra is on the otherside of the valley, about 30 minutes away. If the Dexron will work I can get that at the parts store around the corner. I didn't think about the smell!!

I think I should have started this post mentioning that I was inquiring about gearbox lubricant. Why not use something like Mobil 1 in a 20 weight?

Enco is your friend. If you aren't ordering from them yet, you will be:

http://www.use-enco.com

They sell Vactra in gallons. Shipping is fast. Online ordering is painless. Prices are great. Their selection of smaller sized tooling is great. I've been a regular customer for seven years. I can't say enough good about them.

PS: they have it on sale right now for $12.99/gallon
    Item # 505-1987

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-1987
    Greg

I've bought quite a bit from them in a short time, I wish their shipping was a bit faster. I just placed an order with them last week. I guess I can order some hand cleaner and a few other things along with the Vactra.

Ahh...well...that's not their fault. UPS is to blame there. I'm in Southern California so I guess I'm one-hop from their Nevada warehouse. Enco and MSC shipments arrive here in 2 days. Sometimes it's next day if I get the order in early.

On the other hand, I'm waiting for two boxes from New Jersey. The first box left New Jersey on the 16th. It's going to be here Monday (5 'business' days, 10 calendar days). I've had USPS Parcel Post arrive in less time.

It's painful. UPS absolutely sucks. It would be okay if they were cheaper (they're not) or more convenient (they're not).
    Greg

not to mention its the holiday season so shipping slows way down!

Hey Greg I'm in SoCal also, out in the Palm Springs area. It takes usually 5 days for my order to get here. Where are you at? Anyways I ordered from Enco today and have some Vactra coming. I haven't ordered from MCS, I really don't like there website.

It shouldn't be any different for us then. I'm in Palmdale. They take a long time to get to you? Man, I just love Enco. Two day shipments are normal. I might have had one shipment show up in three days but that's rare.

I ordered a lathe faceplate from MSC a week ago Wednesday (very late in the afternoon). It was on my doorstep Monday afternoon. I think I missed the Wednesday shipping cutoff and it didn't even get processed until the next day.

I agree with you on MSC's website--it's average at best. Enco's website is a piece of cake. It's the best online shopping experience I've had.

I seem to remember them telling me at Westec that Enco is owned by MSC and they share warehouse space in Reno.

I still wonder what's going on with your shipping. If you have a local Grainger, consider yourself lucky. I have to drive to the San Fernando Valley for any industrial supplies.
    Greg

I was in Walmart the other day and noticed the cheapest oil is bar and chain lube which I believe is 30 weight, $4.88/gallon. It has anti-sling additives, which would probably be good for waylube. Does anyone have any experience using chainsaw bar and chain oil for way lube? The oil just runs off into the sump, so it doesn't need a great shear durability like motor oil. I only pay $40 for a 5 gallon pail of Diamond 2010 waylube anyway, but it's always nice to know of other options.

I also heard that Enco was purchased by MSC. I really like Enco, I haven't had any problems other than the slow shipping. I will see how long it takes to get the order that I placed on Saturday. I noticed that all of the UPS freight goes into La Vern, CA and is then distributed to it's local hubs. I know there is one day for the freight to go from La Vern to Palm Springs and it is then delivered the next afternoon. That's two days in itself. I usually get items faster through USPS Priority Mail from the east coast. It's been awhile since I have shopped at Graingers, but I noticed that they do not have the assortment of items like they used to.

Interesting points. I just looked at my tracking information. My 'long lead' boxes are running through Vernon (South-Central Los Angeles). I wonder if Reno is a distribution hub and my boxes end up going direct to Lancaster.

Whatever it is, there are only two ways I get boxes through UPS: two days (MSC and Enco) or all five days.

I hate to bring this up now but I just remembered that my Haas equipment calls out Mobil DTE Hydraulic oil for the gearboxes and Vactra for the ways and screws. I stuck to 'the book' when I bought oil for them but I wondered what the difference would really be for a gearbox and why Vactra wouldn't do the same job in both applications.
    Greg