Hi,

The other big thing is disabling power management on the PC in the BIOS. Also, set your power management to Maximum Performance in Windows this will prevent the CPU from changing clock speeds while your machine is running. I highly recommend dedicating UCCNC to being the only program installed on the PC. Turn off Windows Defender as it can start running at any time and consume much of the computer's resources.
I think this is good advice. CNC software programs like UCCNC and Mach4 are not killer programs, but they do require regular and consistent CPU service. Anything which interrupts
that service will results in glitches at best and failure at worst.

My little dual core Atom single board PC has been loaded with Windows 7 Embedded (Standard) as operating system. It was current about 10 years ago when I bought a license.
The advantage about using an embedded OS is that you can chose and tailor your operating system to your needs. There is a distinct learning curve about choosing all the required
components, as some components require the existence of another. The Windows Embedded installer has a very useful software tool for sorting that out.

There is an option, that if you tick it the installed OS is very similar to the retails Windows 7 install, and that is what I have. The install is about 1.7G, whereas if you lean it out to a
fully functional install but without any frills you can get it down to a little under 1G.

In this mode you can choose to load stuff like security feature, firewall and Windows Defender. If you choose not to load them, they are not installed.....not just installed and turned off, but just
absent altogether. This is what I chose. My little machine PC is never connected to the internet so why bother? I installed the OS about 8 years ago and its never changed since.
OK....so my install does not play CD's or videos......do I care......no, this is for my CNC mill. The last thing I want is any extraneous stuff running....so why bother installing multi-media software
that will never be used? I did not.

Craig