586,075 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > arranging tools in the lathe turret

arranging tools in the lathe turret

is it best to keep all boring/drilling tools on one side of the turret and turning tools on the other, or best to evenly distribute them around or does it matter?

The most important aspect of positioning different tools in the turret is: Make sure the adjacent tool on either side is not going to get walloped by the chuck or the part.

I find most times drills and boring bars cannot be adjacent because of interference with the chuck.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

071022-0920 EST USA

1ctoolfool:

It is a matter of judgement and analysis.

If you have a long drill adjacent to a cutting tool there may be interference. Also if you are running production you need to look at the order of useage of tools.

You may not be able to put a drill and reamer adjacent. You may even need to leave adjacent pockets empty or at least unused in some cases.

The long tool problem is why I would like to see a low cost automatic tool changer for at least one location on the turret.

Yes it is a important issue. You need to be constantly aware of your tooling clearance by just looking at how it will actually work well. Spacing them in the right way makes it work. One must always check clearance always and it takes rational thought to do that. It will work properly if you work it.

"evenly distributed" doesn't matter. Like these guys have said...what matters is they don't get wacked by the chuck.
    Tim

I have found on 6" and 8" chuck machines (with normal sized turrets) that odd numbers work best on o.d. tools and even numbers work best on drill and I.D. tools. also this helps so your not jumping around the whole turret looking for tools. and there pretty much in order for that way you cut a part. and you have more room for non interferance when you have od and Id tools every other one.
    On smaller machines 6" and 8" chucks I dont have a problem with tools hitting the chuck. On my 10" chuck machine its a freaking nightmare running ER 40 collet holders

for example
    1 od rgh
    2 center drlll
    3 od finish
    4 drill
    5 groove/ threader
    6 b bar
    7 groove/ threader / cut off
    8 finish b bar

kinda like that + watching what tools hit the chuck.

Position your tools as efficiently as you can without smacking the chuck, as has been said.

Depends on the turret type as well. The old hydraulic motor turrets don't like being out of balance by a lot, so all heavy tools on one side and light stuff on the other can make those over/undershoot.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Depends on the turret type as well. The old hydraulic motor turrets don't like being out of balance by a lot, so all heavy tools on one side and light stuff on the other can make those over/undershoot.
    You brought up a very good point thats I had forgot all about. the same went for the old 1990 Hitachis and on the KV turret as well( that was a servo turret).