586,035 active members*
3,828 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Knee Vertical Mills > Looking to retrofit a Supermax YCM-40, how do I figure out what I need

Threaded View

Looking to retrofit a Supermax YCM-40, how do I figure out what I need

Hello, about 2 years ago I acquired an old cnc mill which is equipped with servo source and runs off of DOS. It has been a pain in the ass to keep this thing and its dinosaur age electrical components working and according to my buddy who has been helping me with this and who has spoken to Everett Reeve a few times(the guy in charge of Servosource who we have to send parts to for pricey fixing, and from what Ive gathered from the few other mentions of this company of the web, designer of the whole system) sounds like he might die at any moment and has no other technicians under his wing. This thing is unreliable from generic communication errors randomly, losing its limits on startup, to its latest hobby of reporting that the Y axis has moved over 1000 inches away. Yesterday it decided to not stop the Y axis when retracting the Z to move past a wall, didnt catch the error and halt the operation like those other times, and crashed the tool into the part snapping a 1/2 cutter. Im thinking retrofitting might be the best option
    An idea I had awhile ago was to just swap out the control system and drivers reusing the "servos" hooked up to something running like LinuxCNC Mach3 ect until they eventually broke, assuming the motors labeled as "servo II" were you know actually servos. Come to find out not only are they closed loop stepper motors but are also special designed "VR stepper motors" which according to another thread are impossible to find a driver for. Great. Dr. DFlow over on youtube has a series and guide on converting a PM-833TV to a cnc mill. https://www.drdflo.com/pages/Projects/CNC-Mill.html (In hindsight one of these things would have been better sigh) Im mostly stuck on the kind of servo's I would need. He list the Nema 34 for the X and Y and Nema 42 for the Z. With my mill only the quill moves for the z, not the whole head so I dont think id need as powerful of a servo for the Z. (he also has it with a brake to resist gravity but dont know if I need that?) The PM-833TV however also just weighs less then the supermax, under 800lbs with the supermax being over 2000 so Im not really sure what amount of torque Id need. The servo II's have a torque of 115 in/lb or nearly 13 nm according to a converter i found. I see that the Nema 42 has a Instantaneous max. torque of 15 nm and Flow states on his guide "AC Servo motors have a low rated torque compared to a similar size stepper motor. However, they possess a high instantaneous torque that can be used intermittently, which makes up for the difference." so does that mean I could use Nema 42's for all the axis and get a comparable feed rate to what I have now? Ive been told the bed can move up to 100 inch/sec but I never program above 60 because it sounds terrible and tends to lead to (more) communication errors. I dont know how translate nm to inches per min though to find what nm id need though and that intermittently thing confuses me. (ive only ever worked with steppers before) I saw some somebody bring up DC servo motors are best for conversions. Another conversion thread for a bridegport somebody suggested Clearpath servos. Would closed loop stepper motors be okay for this kind of weight while maintaining accuracy? I see theres kits like Acorn CNC but those looks like theyre for smaller machines and plus Id kinda like to not have to rely on a company for service. Thank your for any information you can provide.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_c603250f4b17f6054adaed0f2fc378a8_1bdc0a08_2048.jpg   tumblr_9eeaa13a42fba8d0d77c3afd350c9111_94527f58_2048.jpg   tumblr_db4e1ee44c0b9fc2b0b2eedfbb93addc_c47da604_2048.jpg   tumblr_8c289d7d87ccfaec611272ed66830354_3af9f418_2048.jpg