Hi, I'm new to machining but have a lot of experiance in design, I cofounded a start up and we are looking at making some prototypes of our product, and later some demo decises to give to focus groups etc., we wouild probably outsource serial production.

We have had a think about the finances and it would be worth us getting a desktop mill (tormach 440 etc.) if it could do everything we need, we only need to machine small parts in aluminum and many of them say they are capable of this.

The main part that I think will be difficult has an outer radius that needs a decent tollerance ~ 30 microns on 45 mm diameter and needs to be round. I think this means we need a 4 axis machine. the same part also has a through hole with an internal diameter of 13mm with a tolerance of ~12 microns, again this needs to be round, it is 45mm deep, and perpendicular to the outer diameter. As far as I can tell we would need a boring head to do that, but I can't tell if they fit in the collets that most of the desktop machines seem to use or if the tool would end up being so long we would have no travel left for the actual machining.

Personally I like the idea of having our own CNC it's somthing I have always wanted to try out, there are also several simple parts that we are 3d printing at the moment, but could machine for learning how to use it and getting a more proffesional look to the product.

Any other advice/ pitfalls would be great to hear too.
Thanks
Mike

PS we don't have a big workshop at the moment, just standard wall sockets and maybe just enough room for a small machining centre, definately enough for a desktop mill.