586,058 active members*
3,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post LInear actuator positioning machine.

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of building a fret positioning jig for a radial arm-saw using a linear actuator. this CNC jig will position the fret-board to cut the fret slots on musical instruments. I have built and program the machine using an Arduino board a Nema 24 motor and board. Now I would like to make it self contained so I don't have to have a computer attached to it at all times. Does anyone have an idea on how to accomplish this?

Thank you!!

Elias

Re: LInear actuator positioning machine.

Hi Elias - Why did you do this vs making a 3 axis router? Then you would have a machine that can do so many things. On mine I have cut fret boards for people. Made fret boards & necks, cut bridges etc. I'm not up on the arduino stuff.... Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Elias - Why did you do this vs making a 3 axis router? Then you would have a machine that can do so many things. On mine I have cut fret boards for people. Made fret boards & necks, cut bridges etc. I'm not up on the arduino stuff.... Peter
    Hello Peter, I have a legacy 5 axis router, I just think it is much faster to cut fret slots with a saw instead of a .023” router bit. I have a very nice arm saw that needs another use. So I’m attempting to make this positioning machine for it. I have modified the blade to cut the fret slots. I can use it as it is but I would like to be self contained and not have a computer attached to it all the time.
    Thank you for your reply.

Elias

Masso makes stand-alone controllers that don;t require a PC: https://www.masso.com.au/shop-info/
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Elias - Yes cutting with a 0.6mm bit is tedious. I suppose I do one every year. If your doing a few then it makes sense. When I do one I always buy 3 bits as I know ones going to break or I drop it. Or I stab myself with it. Those things are dangerous! Peter

There are lots of cheap Chinese self contain cnc controller with a display that can do 3-4 axis, that usually cost around $100. Now you just get one of those and configure one axis, and that will position the saw blade to each fret position. Then a very simple g code program will command the axis to move to each fret position and you can push the saw across, or you can configure two axis with to actuators and have the saw moved by stepper motors. Much easier than writing a bunch of ardrino code to do the same thing.

Russ

That sounds like a good use for a RAS but what if you want blind fret slots? Unless you get really fancy with the RAS you're only going to get through slots for your frets, unless I'm missing something.
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Awerby, Thank you for the link I will check it out