586,035 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > VFD recommendations for 10hp allowing for MACH3 rpm control

VFD recommendations for 10hp allowing for MACH3 rpm control

First, thanks to all in advance.

I am looking at an older larger knee mill that had controls removed/controller crapped out.

I am trying to shop a VFD to use for the 10hp spindle and do a retrofit with Clearpath and Mach3. I want to be able to control spindle RPM with MACH3.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a reliable and fairly friendly install unit for a motor this size? Keeping in mind that I am not an electrical engineer or programmer but just smart/dumb enough to be dangerous.

Thank you all again.

Re: VFD recommendations for 10hp allowing for MACH3 rpm control

in my opinion Mach3 is not an option.

I've been using Mach 3 with a VFD via RS 485 Modbus for 5 years without issue. Wonderful accurate speed control albeit using a Chinese VFD with the plugin that some kind person wrote. I too use the Clearpath servo's again without issues quiet and powerful.

Hi,
    VFDs are meant to power 'inverter ready' motors. They do work with ordinary three phase induction motors, but some motors crap out.....its the insulation. A VFD generates a lot
    of high frequency currents which in turn induce high voltages within the motor. Old style induction motors can and sometimes do blow up. Your risk. In most cases I've found
    good quality old English and US electric motors were sufficiently well built when they were made that they withstand VFD service OK. Cheap Chinese ans Indian motors not so much.

10hp is 7.5kW, so you'll need three phase electrical supply.....there are no credible and useful 7.5kW VFDs that will run from a single phase supply.

I personally have always used Delta VFDs and been rewarded with excellent results. They are considerably more expensive than the cheap crop of Chinese made VFDs.....but
    you get what you pay for.

I personally use Mach4 and have done for eight years....and I would not now touch Mach3 with a barge-pole.

Craig