586,036 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Maintenance in General > Maintenance DIY Discussion > Rusty Spindle Bore, Tool Holders, Gamey Coolant - Where to start & How?!?!?

Rusty Spindle Bore, Tool Holders, Gamey Coolant - Where to start & How?!?!?

So I went to a new contract position and found an absolute disaster, at least in my experience.

My first thoughts are steel wool & kerosene, but I am really squeamish to the thought of doing anything to the spindle bore…

Tempted to tell them they need a repair service to come in and do some major service / repair work.

Any constructive suggestions as to what I could actually do?

Thanks.

Re: Rusty Spindle Bore, Tool Holders, Gamey Coolant - Where to start & How?!?!?

#1...1st thing I'd do is run away... fast.

Someone letting a machine get to that state, would not want to pay out heaps of $$$ to get it to a presentable condition.

Ok.. if you didn’t run...
    Take a sample of the coolant. It probably has lots of bad juju in it, stuff that will make you sick. Suck out & hot wash every thing that held coolant, even the filters.
    Fresh coolant in a bucket, with dust brush will help in cleaning / dissolving dried on crap.
    Toolpockets won't need much. Just needs a good scrub.
    Tool tapers try coolant with scotch brite/scouring pads(without the sponge), steel wool is a bit harsh to start with, as you want to find the extent of damage, not create more.
    Spindle taper... this one will take time, with lots of elbow grease, work it the same as the tool tapers

Might be a good reason for them to to upgrade to a more recent used or a new machine ??

Re: Rusty Spindle Bore, Tool Holders, Gamey Coolant - Where to start & How?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    #1...1st thing I'd do is run away... fast.

Someone letting a machine get to that state, would not want to pay out heaps of $$$ to get it to a presentable condition.

Ok.. if you didn’t run...
    Take a sample of the coolant. It probably has lots of bad juju in it, stuff that will make you sick. Suck out & hot wash every thing that held coolant, even the filters.
    Fresh coolant in a bucket, with dust brush will help in cleaning / dissolving dried on crap.
    Toolpockets won't need much. Just needs a good scrub.
    Tool tapers try coolant with scotch brite/scouring pads(without the sponge), steel wool is a bit harsh to start with, as you want to find the extent of damage, not create more.
    Spindle taper... this one will take time, with lots of elbow grease, work it the same as the tool tapers

Might be a good reason for them to to upgrade to a more recent used or a new machine ??
    Thanks Supe!

I will tread lightly with the spindle for sure as well as the holder tapers.

The coolant system will be a complete clean / flush. Found an informative video series on the Haas YT channel that went thru the process.

Still may just get the customer to take care of this with someone else. Not really pumped about dealing with all the bacteria that is sure to be in the tank….

Big company that simply lost the only person who knew anything about running / taking care of these machines. Fortunately the TM2 they have does not have coolant so no similar issues.

Thanks again!