586,307 active members*
3,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Greenhorn question...supplier needed

Greenhorn question...supplier needed

I'm getting back into motion control after many (too many years) here and am in need of steppers for several projects. I've forgotten more than I learned in the first place so will start with a small easy (one axis) project and work up.

Basically, I need steppers with encoders, having rougly 1000 oz-inch of torque....probably 10 or so over the next year.

As usual, my wallet isn't fat so I need a supplier that has good to cheap pricing yet will be around tomorrow for consistency in other projects or replacements. I'm not adverse to paying for decent quality and service, but I can't afford to pay through the nose just because it has a well-known brand name.

I plan on driving them with geckos. If you think I'm pushing their limits at the needed torque/size, please let me know.

Any suggested suppliers/brands you've had luck with? Can I save a buck anywhere while getting decent quality? Should I be scared of the chinese steppers that seem to have started pouring in?

Any specific stepper that's roughly within my needs that you feel is "built like a tank"?

Thanks for the initial steering.

Koz

Why do you need encoders on them?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I want encoders for 2 reasons.

For one, it makes me feel better. Sounds stupid but projects in the past were servo-based and I liked encoders knowing where I am (at least to whatever exent they can)

In reality, the formers I will be constructing woudl do bad things should I miss more than a few steps and not catch it. I'll be gearing the steppers down to rotate a former to make approximately (and variably) 90 degree bends in heavy wires. Stepper speed will be fairly slow on this..probably 500 rpm at the stepper will be considered smokin-fast. This is a HIGHLY repetative operation that has to occur mostly unattended. I'd rather have things lock up if there is any whackiness than live with the problems it could cause.

If I had deep pockets, I'd be using servos in large sizes and doing it right. However, I'm "skunkworking" the prototype of this machine to get the ball rolling.

Basically, I wanted some advice on the current crop of steppers and the service from suppliers. It's a bit of a "ford/chevy/mac/pc" kind of question where there is no real answer but it never hurts to ask when going in blind.

Ya never know...as a group here people might have a preference or know of a particular stepper that is the gorilla of steppers for the price of a pansy. Askin is cheaper than assuming

Thanks

There are several vendors who advertize here on the zone off and on, but this guy is a winner.

Mike

http://homeshopcnc.com/
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.