586,941 active members*
2,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > 800Hz Spindle vs 400Hz VFD

Hybrid View

Re: 800Hz Spindle vs 400Hz VFD

Yep, so what I don't really understand is how some people run 8-9-10amps (when the spindle is only rated to say 6.6amps in the case of Fox's 2.5kW jianken 2 pole), without doing any damage and they plough through material without bogging down.

Fox's spindle ran a 10mm deep x 4mm sidecut and hit 5.7amps max. (20,000RPM). My spindle hits 5amps at only 1.8mm side cuts, same feed rate, same tool and material etc. He then went on to do a 10deep x 8mm side cut and hit 10.4amps without a any bogging down! I would never try that but thought it was impressive and know that my spindle wont get anywhere near that though they are made by the same people and 4-pole vs 2-pole.

Also note I emailed jianken about the amps rating, he said:

"6amps is the current of each wire.
    If your VFD shows 6amps, this is the maximum current. In this case, your spindle is working with full load, right? If so, it's OK.
    When you set up your VFD about the overload current, usually we make it 1.5 times of the rated/maximum current. "

I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, just suspious of the difference in performance of these 2 spindles.

Quote Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post
    Yep, so what I don't really understand is how some people run 8-9-10amps (when the spindle is only rated to say 6.6amps in the case of Fox's 2.5kW jianken 2 pole), without doing any damage and they plough through material without bogging down.

Fox's spindle ran a 10mm deep x 4mm sidecut and hit 5.7amps max. (20,000RPM). My spindle hits 5amps at only 1.8mm side cuts, same feed rate, same tool and material etc. He then went on to do a 10deep x 8mm side cut and hit 10.4amps without a any bogging down! I would never try that but thought it was impressive and know that my spindle wont get anywhere near that though they are made by the same people and 4-pole vs 2-pole.

If your VFD shows 6amps, this is the maximum current. In this case, your spindle is working with full load, right? If so, it's OK.
    When you set up your VFD about the overload current, usually we make it 1.5 times of the rated/maximum current. "

I'm not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here, just suspious of the difference in performance of these 2 spindles.
    His is 2.5Kw so has more Hp than your spindle, Hp wins every time.

What is your mains Power supply Amps to the VFD Drive???

2.2Kw is not 6.6A it should be around 8.5 to 10A for 2.2Kw, 6.6A to 7A is around what most 1.5Kw spindles use, sometimes the specs listed are for 380v so this can be confusing, I would put your motor Amps Parameter at 8.5A and then do some more tests, If the manufacture says it is 6.6A @240v then you have to stick with that.

Like they said also make sure you have set the overload Parameter to no more than 150% I usually use only 120% for all the imported spindles

His 2.5Kw spindle is .4Hp more than your spindle so that would make quite a difference in cut performance, even though it is 2 Pole has more Hp

Hp rules when it comes to taking a heavy cut. Torque helps to maintain a cut, because the 2 spindles are different you can't really compare them.

If you have a 2.2Kw 2Pole and a 2,2Kw 4Pole both 400Hz then the 4 Pole would be the best spindle to have if you need more torque at the lower speeds.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you have a 2.2Kw 2Pole and a 2,2Kw 4Pole both 400Hz then the 4 Pole would be the best spindle to have if you need more torque at the lower speeds.
    Of all the responses to this thread, this is the one I find most enlightening. It also is in line with what Alex at CNCDepot explained to me.
    Im now considering the CNCDepot FM30F (four pole) mated to my WJ200-022SF

Quote Originally Posted by crjohnson View Post

@crjohnson I reviewed Fox's spindle videos. Do you know what VFD and settings he's using? In the videos hes running the spindle up to 24000RPM so he must be using an 800Hz capable VFD