586,076 active members*
3,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fullmida 'diy' VMC4020

After a lot of time and effort building a welded steel fixed gantry router and then starting to build a granite surface plate mill, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the time or patience to build and complete a strong/true CNC frame.

The machine's purpose is mostly AL or plastic milling. I looked into a Tormach or Syil X5, but the overall footprints of these machines won't fit into my tiny work area. That and I've already spent thousands on motors, spindles and rails/screws I rolled the dice on this;

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=8rm91Yv1ZOI3

I sent the wire transfer 2/12 and received the frame today 4/4 via port to door shipping. I dealt with David from Fullmida who had provided a full .stp model. The frame I rec'd is pretty much dead on to the model except for the headstock. The stp model has a 110mm clamp headstock, but the one I received has a 80mm headstock. I had confirmed this w David before I purchased it and it is fine as I currently have a 80mm Jainken spindle. To get the >80mm headstock was several hundred dollars more and I didnt want to convolute an already convoluted transaction. I do plan on getting a larger spindle to move up to BT30 tooling but the 80mm will be fine for now. Because I had the model I was able to pre order all the linear components to size and it looks like everything fits just right.

My first step will be getting a base together then prepping the frame for kinematics. I have a fairly large steel base from my steel router, but the dimensions are a bit off and the weight of the new frame is about twice that of the router at 600lbs for frame only.

The machined surfaces have a goldish clear lacquer like coating. Anyone have tips on how to treat/prep the machined surfaces?

The other goodies so far;

-2.2kw Jainken ISO 20 spindle, will be upgraded to 3.2kw BT30 Jainken or FM30 cncdepot
    -400w Delta AC servo drivers for all axis
    -Centroid Acorn controller

Heres some pics;

Re: Fullmida 'diy' VMC4020

Getting the base sorted for this guy. Im reusing the steel base I built for my steel gantry router. The base was irritatingly tall for the router, for the VMC I wont be able to use my crane to lift it. First order of business was to gut it and then fab new cross members. Once I get the new cross members tacked in Ill chop the top. After the chop the VMC bed should be sitting at 45".

I also test fitted my Jainken JGL80-2.2kw. It fits super snug even with clamp bolt removed. Just to get it in I had to torque open the clamp with all three bolts, looks tiny. Per Jainken the clamp range is 120mm, the head clamp is 140. Hopefully this wont be an issue for the bearings. Once I have the mill running Ill fab something to fit a larger spindle.

Once I have the base done up Ill focus on getting the frame prepped and painted.

fm30 is too much for what it does. Have a look at this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...695552005.html

Quote Originally Posted by ardenum2 View Post
    fm30 is too much for what it does. Have a look at this one: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...695552005.html
    Looks nice but I think it's a bit much for my 220v/50a single ph power source. I like my current spindle JGL80-2.2kw, but its ISO20 and I want to move to BT/ISO30 for better tooling.

Im pretty new to milling. Im on the fence about going belt driven vs direct drive. I only have exp w high speed spindles for AL which is the majority of the stuff I mill. One thing that bothers me about the high speed mills is im getting very sensitive to the sound/freq of them. I dont know if slower belt systems are any better.

Im leaning towards Jainken again. Being my 2nd spindle w Jainken, Wafer will give me a good deal on a JGL100-2.5kw.

What are the travels on this kit? How large is the table? Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    What are the travels on this kit? How large is the table? Looks good.
    The XY per the model 440x306 (17.3"x12.4"), cant tell on the Z yet.
    Table is 460x200 (18.1"x7.9")

This is all per the model, Once I get the frame on the base I can measure actuals.

Pretty much framed out the base frame, and enclosure frame. I also re'cd the new spindle. will move onto getting the VMC frame cleaned and painted.

Just dont rush, Make sure you do all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynekofuco View Post
    The XY per the model 440x306 (17.3"x12.4"), cant tell on the Z yet.
    Table is 460x200 (18.1"x7.9")traffic jam 3d

This is all per the model, Once I get the frame on the base I can measure actuals.
    Thank. It will help my problem.

Hi Waynekofuco

After reading your content, I'm glad I've been involved in similar cases too.
    If you need a marble base, remember to come to me.
    Share a case study with you,I made this product.

https://grabcad.com/library/drone-cnc-diy-1