i havent used my desktop cnc for at least 2 years and recently dusted it off , cleaned it up and getting it set back up again to hopefully run some projects i have in the works.

The machine is a roland mdx40a ( a desktop 3 axis cnc router basically.)

the y axis is a movable bed and the x axis movement is a linear bearing on a very thick support rod ( z axis is also rod type).

I just noticed that while not in use , rust has formed on the x axis rod in a few places.( not bad but definitely not something i can wipe off)

i tried wd 40 to get it off but no luck....seems a more aggressive approach may be needed but im worried about doing that.

the rust isnt bad and the movement seems to work fine. i havent run a job yet but jogging all axis seem fine with no weird noises or skipped steps.

i have thought to lube it up heavily and just run it so hopefully the bearing acts as a sort of lapidary and the rust will disappear on its own but then i thought maybe rust particles would then get inside the bearing assembly.

im considering either using fine diamond paste to lap the rod with progressively finer grits to hopefully remove the rust and bring it back to a polish or option two is just run it and hope it polishes itself.

i dont like either option because neither rust or diamond powder inside the bearings cant be beneficial but i dont have the time or desire to completely disassemble the machine at this point.

its also a machine made by roland ( a company i absolutely hate regarding tech support , and the machine has been discontinued so replacement parts, if available, will cost a fortune and will be a headache because they typically insist on any and all replairs to be done by one of their tech affiliates which all charge a small fortune)

suggestions?