586,103 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rust on linear rods

i havent used my desktop cnc for at least 2 years and recently dusted it off , cleaned it up and getting it set back up again to hopefully run some projects i have in the works.

The machine is a roland mdx40a ( a desktop 3 axis cnc router basically.)

the y axis is a movable bed and the x axis movement is a linear bearing on a very thick support rod ( z axis is also rod type).

I just noticed that while not in use , rust has formed on the x axis rod in a few places.( not bad but definitely not something i can wipe off)

i tried wd 40 to get it off but no luck....seems a more aggressive approach may be needed but im worried about doing that.

the rust isnt bad and the movement seems to work fine. i havent run a job yet but jogging all axis seem fine with no weird noises or skipped steps.

i have thought to lube it up heavily and just run it so hopefully the bearing acts as a sort of lapidary and the rust will disappear on its own but then i thought maybe rust particles would then get inside the bearing assembly.

im considering either using fine diamond paste to lap the rod with progressively finer grits to hopefully remove the rust and bring it back to a polish or option two is just run it and hope it polishes itself.

i dont like either option because neither rust or diamond powder inside the bearings cant be beneficial but i dont have the time or desire to completely disassemble the machine at this point.

its also a machine made by roland ( a company i absolutely hate regarding tech support , and the machine has been discontinued so replacement parts, if available, will cost a fortune and will be a headache because they typically insist on any and all replairs to be done by one of their tech affiliates which all charge a small fortune)

suggestions?

Re: rust on linear rods

auto repair shops sell an array of rust removers which should deal with the problem . If you have rust pitting then a more aggressive approach may be needed

I’ve had good luck using a razor blade to remove superficial rust.

Hi Mana - If you use Aluminium foil to rub the rust off its like magic. Make a bit of a foil ball with some soap and water and a few wipes and its all gone.... fantastic on chrome as well. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    i havent used my desktop cnc for at least 2 years and recently dusted it off , cleaned it up and getting it set back up again to hopefully run some projects i have in the works.

The machine is a roland mdx40a ( a desktop 3 axis cnc router basically.)

the y axis is a movable bed and the x axis movement is a linear bearing on a very thick support rod ( z axis is also rod type).

I just noticed that while not in use , rust has formed on the x axis rod in a few places.( not bad but definitely not something i can wipe off)

i tried wd 40 to get it off but no luck....seems a more aggressive approach may be needed but im worried about doing that.

the rust isnt bad and the movement seems to work fine. i havent run a job yet but jogging all axis seem fine with no weird noises or skipped steps.

i have thought to lube it up heavily and just run it so hopefully the bearing acts as a sort of lapidary and the rust will disappear on its own but then i thought maybe rust particles would then get inside the bearing assembly.

im considering either using fine diamond paste to lap the rod with progressively finer grits to hopefully remove the rust and bring it back to a polish or option two is just run it and hope it polishes itself.

i dont like either option because neither rust or diamond powder inside the bearings cant be beneficial but i dont have the time or desire to completely disassemble the machine at this point.

its also a machine made by roland ( a company i absolutely hate regarding tech support , and the machine has been discontinued so replacement parts, if available, will cost a fortune and will be a headache because they typically insist on any and all replairs to be done by one of their tech affiliates which all charge a small fortune)

suggestions?
    Knock the high rust spots off with a sharp blade then use scotch-brite Grey pads and WD40.

Your best is to use scotch-brite pads Grey and WD40 this will not damage the linear rods, if you had to replace them you can get most of these parts on the web you don't need to buy a Roland part, software and electronic hardware you would have to get from Roland unless you upgraded if you had too.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    auto repair shops sell an array of rust removers which should deal with the problem . If you have rust pitting then a more aggressive approach may be needed
    These are corrosive and you would not want to use them anywhere near a CNC machine of any kind.
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    These are corrosive and you would not want to use them anywhere near a CNC machine of any kind.
    wipe on wipe off , nothing critical about it . Obviously a guy has to have common sense on which product to use . If it's safe to use on chromed bumpers and motorcycle pipes then it's safe to wipe on a solid steel rail .

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    wipe on wipe off , nothing critical about it . Obviously a guy has to have common sense on which product to use . If it's safe to use on chromed bumpers and motorcycle pipes then it's safe to wipe on a solid steel rail .
    Chrome and a steel Ground Surface are very different, the Chrome is porous that is why you see / get rust spots, which are easy to remove, steel by itself will have a much greater rust bond, so is harder to remove the rust, using anything like this is not a good idea for a Ground steel surface, if you really have to use anything white vinegar will do a better job than any automotive products, can be messy though.
    Mactec54

Thanks for all the great suggestions and now I feel I I definitely have more options regarding the rust removal but maybe I should have phrased my question better because a large concern was perhaps the existence in question no longer running true due to w had uneven fit...or slop in bearings...should I not worry about this? Cutting soft metals with this machine prior to the rust was already a task in itself

Quote Originally Posted by manakawari View Post
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and now I feel I I definitely have more options regarding the rust removal but maybe I should have phrased my question better because a large concern was perhaps the existence in question no longer running true due to w had uneven fit...or slop in bearings...should I not worry about this? Cutting soft metals with this machine prior to the rust was already a task in itself
    It would have to be very badly rusted to have any effect on the accuracy of the rail, the bearings run in 4 straight lines, so if there was an affected area then you could rotate the rails to give you an unaffected area, keep some protection on them if not using, even just a wipe with a oily cloth is enough
    Mactec54