586,067 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Bridgeport Knee Mill Labor Quote

Hello - our shop just got a quote for repairs to an S1 Bridgeport knee mill.
    For: resurfacing/rebuild, new x-axis power feed, and new DRO plus labor for all, we were quoted just under 12 grand. I know you can't buy a Bridgeport for that money, but does this seem fair to you more experienced ears?

The shop seems straightforward, but the price was still a bit of a shocker.
    Any thoughts are much appreciated.
    Thank you!

Re: Bridgeport Knee Mill Labor Quote

For a complete rebuild the price seems OK. Labor is expensive and this is a time consuming job. It really depends on what condition your machine is in.

But that is not the route I would take. There are an incredible amount of BP's and clones on the used market for a lot less money. And there is nothing wrong with a good quality clone. It's not hard to find a used machine in near perfect mechanical condition. One thing to concider is the manual/CNC older import machines. If you want a manual only, strip off the axis motors and just simply use it as a manual. Or use the motors as the power feed, either way works. All it takes is an inexpensive DC motor controller to run the motors. It's not uncommon to find these machines in near perfect mechanical condition with a failed computer. I have seen these machines for about $500 and up. I bought mine for $1000, and it is mechanically near perfect.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Maybe you can't buy a new Bridgeport for that money, but used ones usually cost a lot less. If yours really needs 12 grand worth of work, it might be time to look for one.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks Jim - I'll take a look around for comparable machines.

Thanks Andrew - yeah, weighing the costs of bringing in a new/used machine.