586,525 active members*
3,390 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 3axis DRO

Question 3axis DRO

I'm in the market for Digital Read Out. It is for Bridgeport type turret mill i've just bought.
    What different types are on the market today? What's the pros and cons of each.

I need something "bullet proof"- I'm from the continent of hippos, elephants, lion and BEAUTIFULL nature (that's why!!)
    Klox

I went with Sony Magnescales because I bought into the hype about them being impervious to dirt and coolant. I've never used any glass scales to know if this is a serious problem with those, but I think they are quite a bit cheaper.

However, the Magnescale's read head is still a fairly close fit to the encoded magnetic wire that runs the length of the scale. I did find that if coolant found its way in, that over time, it would build up and jam up the scale. Imagine my surprise one day when I was moving the cross slide and the encoded wire pops out the end of the scale. Yeoww! I did repair it satisfactorily but I did take more pains after that to deflect coolant from pouring onto the scale.

What else. There is a scale built by Newall that uses tubes filled with precision steel balls as a scale. These might be worth looking at.

However, since I have gone CNC, I haven't been greatly interested in plain DRO's. But, I would be researching the features that the modern units have that serve as sort of a CADCAM machinist's helper, rather than just a bare nuts position sensor, which is all I have.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile 3axis DRO

You could also try Ortec . They're based in the Channel Islands , have a web-site and don't rely on glass scales . They use a tensioned stainless steel wire which is wound around a rotary scale .

I find it cheaper to go with the 2 axis readout and a Digital readout on the quil. like a digital caliper.

Have the SONY's on 1 machine here for bout 5 years no problem, but its a standard Bridgeport, doesnt see tremendous amounts of coolant, and our Tool room is pretty clean as far as shops go.
    Wee aim to please ... You aim to ... PLEASE.

Thanx for all the info!

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....