586,082 active members*
3,836 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help on PCB design layout

I have a CNC and would feel comfortable cutting two sided PCB boards. But I’m lost in the designing and layout of a board.
    Just completed adding Proximity sensors to my DIY CNC and think a PCB would be the best choice to handle the one resistor and diode and the associated wiring. The wire sizes are 18 and 22AWG.
    There is a total of six Proximity switches, in the below drawing I just showed three to get the idea of what I was trying to address.

I looked at a few “simple” PCB how to’s. But not all that simple.

Or is what I need better addressed by a different means?
    Thanks you

Re: Help on PCB design layout

PCB layout is a career occupation taking many years to master. But then, it's also well within reach of anyone.

What you got there could easily be done on perf board. And if it can be done on perf board - or prototype boards - then it's easy to transfer to CNC.

Remember, just like a resistor or a diode is a component, many times in PCB work, a *jumper* is a component, too. In boards like these with somewhat repetitive component topology, a jumper is not a shameful defeat. Just gather your goodies; populate a perf board; if need be, cut a PCB from that. Or just use the perf board.

Layout gets much more involved as RF is considered. But if this is strictly continuity, no biggie.

You'll make mistakes! Good. When was the last time you did something worth doing where you DIDN'T make any mistakes??

If you just need to assemble this circuit, you can use a breadboard. It may not look pretty, but it will get the job done. I have done much more complex things on a breadboard - see photo below.

If you want to learn PCB design, choose the software to match your skills, requirements, and budget. I personally use FreePCB for designing boards, and CamBam for making G-code.

Learning to mill PCBs on a CNC machine is a whole another can of worms, but it's a great asset to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Chips View Post
    I have a CNC and would feel comfortable cutting two sided PCB boards. But I’m lost in the designing and layout of a board.
    Just completed adding Proximity sensors to my DIY CNC and think a PCB would be the best choice to handle the one resistor and diode and the associated wiring. The wire sizes are 18 and 22AWG.
    There is a total of six Proximity switches, in the below drawing I just showed three to get the idea of what I was trying to address.

I looked at a few “simple” PCB how to’s. But not all that simple.

Or is what I need better addressed by a different means?
    Thanks you
    This is a very simple circuit. If this is a one and only thing then you could make a drawing using white paper and pen, scan it into a PDF format and convert to g-code using a freeware. If you want to create a more professional looking layout you could use a software and create a DXF file, convert that to G-code.

However, if you want to do it even better than you start using a circuit designer software and learn how to generate the g-code from that, especially if you want to create more complex and other circuits also. I recommend https://easyeda.com/ which is what I am using. Practice and you will quickly learn it. You can also just manually create the PCB layout with the same tool if you don't want to create a project with complete diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    If you just need to assemble this circuit, you can use a breadboard. It may not look pretty, but it will get the job done. I have done much more complex things on a breadboard - see photo below.

If you want to learn PCB design, choose the software to match your skills, requirements, and budget. I personally use FreePCB for designing boards, and CamBam for making G-code.

Learning to mill PCBs on a CNC machine is a whole another can of worms, but it's a great asset to have.

Now, THAT looks like a circuit I would create a PCB for. Maybe even order for EasyEDA. https://easyeda.com/

Quote Originally Posted by A_Camera View Post
    Now, THAT looks like a circuit I would create a PCB for.
    It was just a prototype, but it came out so well that I didn't bother making a PCB for it. The device worked for many years in the form of a breadboard. :wave:

On the topic of PCB manufacturing services, I have used ExpressPCB in the past. I really liked their software, but it could only be used to order from the company. You could not export the Gerber files without buying the boards from them.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenOfDreams View Post
    It was just a prototype, but it came out so well that I didn't bother making a PCB for it. The device worked for many years in the form of a breadboard. :wave:

On the topic of PCB manufacturing services, I have used ExpressPCB in the past. I really liked their software, but it could only be used to order from the company. You could not export the Gerber files without buying the boards from them.
    I second using ExpressPCB. The cost is not all that much for a small board and you get very professional results. Their new software can export a gerber file for use in other applications. Also there is a library of all the parts you will need. Don't forget about connectors and assorted things not included in your circuit. I have made some large boards using ExpressPCB and they have turned out great.

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...-software.html

With regard to ExpressPCB.
    I have always found that a good starting point is to see what someone else has done and adapt it from there to meet one's own needs. If you have any interest I will be happy to share my design with you.

One of the things I try to do is to use standardized interfaces that are easy to wire and that are EMI resistant. Also I try to reduce the number of wires just to make the build easier. Where there are a bunch of sensors on the machine, I mount a PCB out there on the machine and run a single wire back to the controller. Opto-Isolate any signals coming from sensors on the machine and also fuse any power wiring before it gets into a cable.

Here is a schematic of my Sensor Interface Board.

Hi,
    I make PCBs day in and day out. I used to use EAGLE, but when Autodesk bought it out I progressed to Fusion 360, the Electronics module which is a repackaging of EAGLE.

If you've not made circuit boards before it is a learning curve to be sure. For a very simple one-off project Veroboard is probably the best choice.

If you don't mind spending some time you can create nice PCBs with a CNC. The pic attached is predominantly surface mount, limiting feature size 0.2mm between traces. The board is
    60mm x 74mm.

Craig