586,100 active members*
2,581 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Precix machine won't home

Hi. I'm hoping that someone can help me with my Precix CNC table. It's a 9100 model from 2003, with a 4'x8' table. I've had various issues with the controller and gotten some help from Precix technical support. Now the issue that I'm having is that the machine won't home. It powers on and gets into the QNX software and I can jog the gantry in the 3 axis using the arrow buttons on the control screen so that makes it seem that the encoders, motor controllers, control board etc are all working fine. But when I hit the HOME button, it says "HOMING" but never moves. It seems like it just doesn't know which direction to move or something. I've looked in the vegas.ini file but nothing seems obvious, although I'm no expert in the files that CNC tables use for operation.

I tried getting help from Precix but have been told that that machine is too old for support and I should get a new controller. I'm not happy about that because I actually sent them the controller to fix last year ago, paid them the diagnostic and repair fee (they said it was fine), and it still didn't work after I received it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I've got this very large boat anchor in my shop.

Thank you!

Sumner

Quote Originally Posted by MN_moto View Post
    Hi. I'm hoping that someone can help me with my Precix CNC table. It's a 9100 model from 2003, with a 4'x8' table. I've had various issues with the controller and gotten some help from Precix technical support. Now the issue that I'm having is that the machine won't home. It powers on and gets into the QNX software and I can jog the gantry in the 3 axis using the arrow buttons on the control screen so that makes it seem that the encoders, motor controllers, control board etc are all working fine. But when I hit the HOME button, it says "HOMING" but never moves. It seems like it just doesn't know which direction to move or something. I've looked in the vegas.ini file but nothing seems obvious, although I'm no expert in the files that CNC tables use for operation.

I tried getting help from Precix but have been told that that machine is too old for support and I should get a new controller. I'm not happy about that because I actually sent them the controller to fix last year ago, paid them the diagnostic and repair fee (they said it was fine), and it still didn't work after I received it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now I've got this very large boat anchor in my shop.

Thank you!

Sumner
    For homing you need a n/c home switch, the axis drives to the switch and when it hits it, the n/c goes open circuit, then it makes a movement to find home.

Check the 1st axis home switch is n/c, if it's open it may do nothing.

Also, check parameter has correct home direction set ie +/-

Re: Precix machine won't home

Hi, servtech, thank you for the help and input. I think my limit switches are ok. There are three limit switch lights X,Y,Z on the front panel that are on. I manually tripped the X axis microswitch, and the X light went off. Same for Y and Z.

I'm not sure about the correct home position. There is a file called vegas.ini that has the below settings:

home_switch_active_level = {low, low, low}
    home_seek_direction = {-1.0, -1.0, 1.0}
    home_home_direction = {1.0, 1.0, -1.0}
    home_seek_speed = {2.0, 2.0, 1.0}
    home_home_speed = {0.05, 0.05, 0.05}
    home_acceleratoin = {15.0, 15.0, 15.0}
    home_position = {0.0, 0.0, 0.0}

Do these look OK?

Since I can move the ganty by clicking on the jog arrows on the screen, but it won't activate any of the motors when I click "HOME", is there some different way that the machine signals the motors to move vs. when the jog buttons are pressed? If there is a different way, is it possible that that part is broken somehow?

Thank you in advance for any help on this. I've been struggling with this for a while.

Sumner