586,192 active members*
3,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Complaints and Praise Discussions > HAAS TM1P Serial Port Board Installation RS232

HAAS TM1P Serial Port Board Installation RS232

Hello all. My company has a HAAS TM1P 3 axis milling machine. They will not allow us to use the ethernet interface or the wifi interface due to company policies. My colleges and I are now forced to use a serial RS232 interface. We want to drip feed programs from our laptop directly to the mill using the serial port. We have the serial board and ribbon cable which I will attach pictures. We just do not know where to plug it into on the main HAAS controller board. Or if it is even the correct serial board for our machine. It was the only one we could find and it says it is compatible on the HAAS website. Any help about where to hook the board up to and pictures/diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Re: HAAS TM1P Serial Port Board Installation RS232

Quote Originally Posted by sarvghadd9112 View Post
    Hello all. My company has a HAAS TM1P 3 axis milling machine. They will not allow us to use the ethernet interface or the wifi interface due to company policies.
    In your situation, I would ask permission to use a COMPLETELY ISOLATED ethernet system. Acquire a inexpensive router and plug just the Haas and a control computer into the router. Do not connect the router or control computer to any part of your company network. Choose a router that does NOT have WiFi capability, something equivalent to this: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-...-router/er605/

To move files back and forth to the isolated computer, copy files onto a portable thumb drive and "walk" it to a computer that is part of the network.

I have tried to go this route already. My company will not allow a separate isolated ethernet system because our computers are already on the company ethernet. Even though the computers are capable of connecting to two separate networks, CIMCO requires a FTP server to be setup. We are not allowed to do this as we do not have admin rights on any computers. Plus it is against company policy. So we are stuck with the old school serial RS232 connection. We use it on our other FANUC mill and lathe but this particular HAAS mill have is a newer model and did not come with a serial board. It has a provision on the backside of the case for it. But like I said we have the board and ribbon cable, we just do not know how to hook it up. Plus our company does not want to pay for a technician to come out. Please help. I know we cant be the only ones with this particular problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sarvghadd9112 View Post
    I have tried to go this route already. My company will not allow a separate isolated ethernet system because our computers are already on the company ethernet. Even though the computers are capable of connecting to two separate networks, CIMCO requires a FTP server to be setup.
    Well, I can't help you with the serial board. Perhaps another member here may be familiar with that process.

The solution I proposed above did not involve ANY existing computer. Get a completely separate computer to use with an isolated network. Used computers are pretty cheap. Of course you have to work within company rules, but if they can't see a way to allow a completely separate network, then they can pay to have a technician do the serial setup.

Yes, your solution would work using the ethernet interface with a separate computer. Unfortunately, my company will not allow any outside computers that are not provided directly by them. They are a huge company but my department manager refuses to spend what would be pennies to them on a technician. So as of now we are just using a USB flash drive to transfer programs which becomes tedious, especially when you want to make changes. Plus, our IT department requires you enter a reason within a pop up window each time you plug in a USB flash drive. Very frustrating. So we are just dead stuck on having to figure this serial port ourselves. Thanks for your help though.

Quote Originally Posted by RaderSidetrack View Post
    In your situation, I would ask permission to use a COMPLETELY ISOLATED ethernet system. Acquire a inexpensive router and plug just the Haas and a control computer into the router. Do not connect the router or control computer to any part of your company network. Choose a router that does NOT have WiFi capability, something equivalent to this: https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-...-router/er605/color blind test

To move files back and forth to the isolated computer, copy files onto a portable thumb drive and "walk" it to a computer that is part of the network.
    I tried and still no success