586,075 active members*
4,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 RS232 not working

LB15 RS232 not working

I have an LB10 and an LB15. The LB10 has had the RS232 working for quite some time and I can put programs on and pull off the programs with ease. It took me a while to get the right settings on the LB10 and on the computer but haven't looked back since. But the LB15 is giving me some issues I cant even get a garbage output from the lathe. So I bought a light up RS232 connector on eBay. This one to be exact https://www.ebay.com/itm/185741803298.

I plugged the LED connector on the LB10 and all of the light are lighting up even when it is only plugged in, and the "TD" light blinks when punching a program but on the LB15 only two light are on when plugged in. And there is no status change when punching a program.

I have tried sending a file with and without ",CN0:" after the file name. and that doesn't change anything. and I have tried when the machine is e-stopped and not e-stopped and that doesn't make a difference.

What am I doing wrong. Is a board or something bad?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LB10 Works.jpg   LB15 not work.jpg  

Re: LB15 RS232 not working

Okuma RS232 boards are very rigid. As a standard it should withstand 200VAC applied.
    From what you are saying I would check the ground potential first. Use of electrically insulated gateway is very good idea. It's opcocoupler basically, with classic old fashion power transformer and autonomous power supply.
    Is there some manual explaining how to use this "Multi-Line Status Mini Tester"?
    all of the light are lighting up even when it is only plugged in
    it's really very strange, isn't it? Nearly as it would light on just sitting on the table.

Re: LB15 RS232 not working

First...are the cables and jumpers the same on both machines? If not, match them. Next check your parameters on the LB 15 to make sure they match the LB-10. If you are not even getting garbage, either the cable is wrong or the parameters are set so that it's not even trying to transmit due to improper handshaking. Also make sure when changing parameters that you shut the machine off at the breaker for about 2 minutes to make sure the RS board resets to the new parameters properly. Start with the parameters since they are the easiest to change.

9600-7-even-2 are what seems to work reliably. Turn on software handshaking, and wire 6-8-20 together and 5-6 together on the machine side. Then only 3 wires are needed: 1 for the ground and transmit and receive wires between the machine and PC.

Parameter bit 1 = 01001001
    12=01001110
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.